Pony Bottle Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see your point Uncle Pug but I re-emphasize that air consumption is not my concern rather just an added measure of saftey in case of catastrophic equipment failure. Provided one practices using a pony, attaches it properly and unobtrusively, and practices good air consumption, is it still of your opinion that it is an unecessary piece of equipment? Why? Many, myself included, say that a cell phone or GPS in the wilderness isn't an excuse to get lost nor may it save you if it doesn't work, you don't know how to use it or you get yourself into such dire straits that you die anyway. I agree. But, sh-- happens, right?

Rhpenning once bubbled...
I see your point Uncle Pug

Many, myself included, say that a cell phone or GPS in the wilderness
You still haven't identified the downsides of a pony nor figured out how to mitigate them.

A cell phone or GPS probably won't exacerbate your situation in the wilderness... and that is where you fail to see my point.

Ok. Downsides: entanglement, extra burden to manage, improper training. Mitigations: mount properly, practice in low stress situations, get trained. Keep in mind that I am not wed to this setup. It's just that my intuitive self says it make sense to go redundant and that it isn't all that much of an impairment. But from your tone it seem as if you have experienced otherwise. Right?

Mitigation, entanglement, board raised issues, etc...follow up to expand on my post above...

When we use pony bottles (except for hooka harnesses) I/we attach with slide clips to shoulder D and hip D rings. Under arm with basically same orientation as body, and readily detachable.

Same attachment points as when using doubles and BP rig with stage bottles (tanks), but at only 13cu ft, not as intrusive as when 72, 80, 104s, etc., are slung. Also it will clear the a cannister, so is a lot closer than a RH stage bottle. With double stage bottles (i.e., 72s), one is fairly well balanced, one (i.e., 72) stage is ungainly with unbalanced drag even if LH offsetting a cannister, but with a small (13)pony, hardly even noticeable.

When we get serious for recovery with Hooka, using vest with bottle cross mounted like old Fenzy style, allows freedom of movement without bulk for limited movement or entanglement, etc. Lift lines, slings and bags are true risks for ANY back monuted gear.

In summary: My concept for pony is self contained, readily deployable for what ever reason, and never mounted behind. I totally agree that ponies mounted behind on for instance a single tank would induce roll, offset drag, and additional risk of entanglement. Ref earlier post.

If a pony bottle is not for you then don't use one....
Good luck and safe diving...Jc.

Rhpenning once bubbled...
Ok. Downsides: entanglement, extra burden to manage, improper training. Mitigations: mount properly, practice in low stress situations, get trained. Keep in mind that I am not wed to this setup. It's just that my intuitive self says it make sense to go redundant and that it isn't all that much of an impairment. But from your tone it seem as if you have experienced otherwise. Right?

I "dive doubles" too, only mine are asymmetrical, one's 19 cu ft, the other's a 95 ...

Same reasons as you...

Particularly important when diving with a SOB or solo...

I haven't read every post on this issue, but, if spg fails couldn't you still run out of air w/ doubles? I'm guessing most don't dive their doubles w/ isolator closed, though that would be one option. Intanglement risks modulate all the time w/ the various pieces of gear and types of dives.

Who has had the pony bottle system fail them? How? Is that like asking if your emergency chute ever failed?!

Like most people, I don't like to give evidence against my preferences/prejudices but I suppose I should. While discussing issues raised on this board w/ one of my teenage sons he did say that sometimes he feels overburdened w/ gear (3 2nd stages etc). People deal differently with various levels of complication. This too, is a factor. (I'm not ready for the complications of CCR)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

You still have your depth gauge bottom timer... so why would you run out of gas?
[/QUOTE

It would be clearly impossible........what a relief.....no need for pesky buddy either. I can probably dispense with the "lost gas" calculations as well. My life is simplifying:)

I travel to dive and I'm still usually stuck renting singles and as JCKCSYCMD called it "asymetrical doubles" are a reasonable solution vs K valve single. I tried a pair of 131's w/ weight between tanks....I was afraid I'd die before I got into the water!:D

Is there anyone out there who uses or used to use a small pony bottle (19cf or so) for unexpected emrgencies who is not a tech diver and does not exceed recreational dive limits. If so , what are your experiences using one?

Back
Top Bottom