Ponta Malongane, March '09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool stuff! I'm way jealous of the Whale Shark!

I have seen lots of glassfish in the Red Sea: Parapriacanthus Guentheri (the Red Sea Dwarf Sweeper)
They look a lot like the ones you have seen!

I have seen lots of glassfish in the Red Sea: Parapriacanthus Guentheri (the Red Sea Dwarf Sweeper)
They look a lot like the ones you have seen!

Aha! I think you may have nailed this one, thanks. The only Parapriacanthus species we have here is Parapriacanthus ransonneti, known locally as the Pigmy Sweeper and the description seems to match my fish pretty well. So it seems the common name was the source of confusion here.

Thanks again.

Hi!
I have been lucky enough to be given a 4 day assignment in cape town at the end of march. I am considering flying to Mozambique to do some diving there afterwards. It is hard to gather any kind of trustworthy intel from where i am (belgium...). Do you reckon there is a good chance to spot whale sharks and mantas that time of the year? More chances in Northern mozambique? Also how does the south compare to the north in terms of coral life? Is it similar to Southern Red sea?

Brilliant pictures!

Thanks a million

david

I haven't dived the Red Sea yet so I can't strike any comparisons for you but here are some comments:
- Yes, I think you'd have a better chance of seeing Whalesharks and Mantas further up north. Near Ihambane there is a reef called Manta Reef, perhaps one of the most reliable places to see Mantas in southern African waters.
- March would be a good time of year, especially for Whalesharks and Mantas but not for Whales.
- Ponta Malongane, the spot this thread is about, is in the extreme south of Mozambique. The diving there is very similar to the northern KZN coast of South Africa.
- Mozambique has a rather limited infrastructure and flying in to places like Ponta Malongane is not really an option. You'd need to do some amount of driving at the least.
- The spots around Inhambane (Tofo, Paindane, Guinjata etc.) offer pickup services from the airport in Inhambane. This might be a good option if you're considering diving in Mozambique.
- Inhambane is still in the southern third of Mozambique. I don't know anything about diving in northern Mozambique. I know there are diving operations around Pemba and in the Quirimba archipelago but I don't have any info on that.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your visit to Capetown and hopefully Mozambique.

Back
Top Bottom