Pompano Beach incident - 62 yo diver @ 200'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Bends feared after diver collapses off Hillsboro Inlet after 12-minute dive
By Juan Ortega
sun-sentinel.com
Posted February 23 2007, 3:30 PM EST

POMPANO BEACH -- A 62-year-old male diver collapsed aboard a commercial diving boat after making a too-rapid ascent from 200 feet of water off Hillsboro Inlet, officials said.

Paramedics took him to North Broward Medical Center in Deerfield Beach where he was being treated for the bends -- a form of decompression sickeness, said city spokeswoman Sxxxxx Kxxx.

The diver, whose identity and medical condition wasn't released, was wearing air tanks during a 12-minute dive and had some kind of emergency, Kxxx said. He made a too-rapid ascent and was conscious when he made it back onto the deck of the Avid Diver. He collapsed six or seven minutes later.

A vessel from Seatow, a Fort Lauderdale marine towing company, and took him to a nearby dock, said Mxxx Cxxxxxx, a Seatow dispatcher. The diver then was taken to the medical center.

The bends are caused by the formation of nitrogen bubbles in the blood stream and in tissues following a sudden drop in the surrounding pressure -- as in ascending too rapidly from a dive. It is characterized by severe pains in the joints and chest, skin irritation, cramps, and sometimes paralysis.

Hope he responds and comes out okay. Wonder what the dive site was and what equipment and gas (air?) he was using.

The newspaper reporter seems to have done a better-than-usual job of explaining the basic principles of DCS.

I hope he does have a speedy recovery. 12 minutes, I wonder what type of emergency and if a buddy was present.

200ft/61m that sounds pretty deep for recreational diving. Did he have any technical diving experience?

Arizona

doesnt sound like he was tech diving..

maybe he freaked out when he realised how deep he was.

Arizona:
I hope he does have a speedy recovery. 12 minutes, I wonder what type of emergency and if a buddy was present.

200ft/61m that sounds pretty deep for recreational diving. Did he have any technical diving experience?

Arizona

The max is 130 for sport/rec diving,........so........If he planned his dive, he made the wrong plans.......hoping things turn out OK for him....

DoItRite:
A lot of your "old school" divers, think that depth/tables/deco, etc are a bunch of hogwash. I know a guy locally who had no problem diving to 200' on with no thoughts of deco or additional equipment. It is a dangerous way to dive to say the least.

Yep, that's the way we did it in the 1960-70's - but, we were in our 20's, not our 60's. And the punishment for a too rapid an ascent was the same...

DoItRite:
A lot of your "old school" divers, think that depth/tables/deco, etc are a bunch of hogwash. I know a guy locally who had no problem diving to 200' on with no thoughts of deco or additional equipment. It is a dangerous way to dive to say the least.

This is a nasty statement to make, especially as all the info we have here is from a newspaper article. Let's wait and find out more data before we pass judgement.

I am an "old school" diver, but I dive with tables or, now, with a computer. I don't like some of the newer "rules" but I follow them. And I follow the doctrine that recreational diving is "no-deco".

But this is just my opinion.

Gary,

I agree about not having the details, and hope they come about so we can learn from this incident. How is the diver doing? Does anyone have an update?

AZ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom