Question POLL: Own or rent regulator and/or BCD?

Own or rent regulator and/or BCD?

• Own regulator, rent BCD

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Rent regulator, own BCD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Own regulator, own BCD

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Rent regulator, rent BCD

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new or reactivating diver, it makes sense to try a few different BC systems before you commit. Returning to diving last year, I learned belatedly about BP/W and now I am all in.

A reg is a reg is a reg. Get a good set. Or two.

Don't buy either before your first trip or ~10 dives after OW (at lest 5 of which aren't part of a class). Not a bad idea to wait till > ~20 dives. Buy the one where the variability in rentals bothered you most first.
On the other side, by 20 dives the equipment could be already paid off. But, of course, trying different things make sense. But trying rentals might still not be a good comparison to stuff that you would end in buying.

I'm thinking, find good prices and if it's not something I end up liking, just resell it at breakeven or minimal loss (which would still be less that the rental expense)

On the other side, by 20 dives the equipment could be already paid off.
True, but if you only do 20, then it is close to break even. And if you do more you will appreciate having waited to be sure you are getting what you really want.

But, of course, trying different things make sense. But trying rentals might still not be a good comparison to stuff that you would end in buying.
It's not just about trying different stuff. It's also about seeing different stuff and seeing what kind of diving you really do. Also renting lets you see what things bother you about rental gear and helps you make better choices on what to buy and buy first.

But the main thing I recommend is at least 5 non-class dives. Experience diving in a non-class setting before you commit to expensive gear.

As a new or reactivating diver, it makes sense to try a few different BC systems before you commit.

This. Figure out what's out there and what you like, then buy.

Ask divers with the gear you are considering what they like and dislike about theirs.

Especially since I've seen lots of tropical, new diver oriented operations include rentals in their guided dives and give little or no discount for divers with their own gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom