Question POLL: Own or rent regulator and/or BCD?

Own or rent regulator and/or BCD?

• Own regulator, rent BCD

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Rent regulator, own BCD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Own regulator, own BCD

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Rent regulator, rent BCD

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which question - do we, or should you?

^^^I have the same question. Saw OP's intro post:

I own my own BCD & Regs. I'd say with you living in SE Florida and wanting to do some shore dives, it could quickly pay for itself for you to own your own BCD & Regs. It would be different if you were only going to dive once or twice a year.

Is this a serious question?

Which question - do we, or should you?
Is this a serious question?
I added more context to my question...

I do think it can be debatable. Service cost of the regulators, simplicity of travelling without the BCD...

And then, of course, for local dives, makes sense to buy.

But when starting, if you start renting, you end up postponing the breakeven point of owning...

I added more context to my question...

I do think it can be debatable. Service cost of the regulators, simplicity of travelling without the BCD...

Well, considering that a regulator is your breathing life sustaining apparatus, I think, the question should be not whether to own, but how many to own. My answer would be at least 2 sets.

But when starting, if you start renting, you end up postponing the breakeven point of owning...
Even aside from money savings, when traveling it can be nice to have your own BCD & Regs so you are familiar with them, and you don't have to worry about adjusting gear the dive op has for you to rent. I also don't have to worry about whether the dive op BCDs have integrated weight systems, or require the use of a weight belt (which I really don't like using -- much prefer weight pockets).

It's also nice to be able to keep all of the accessories in and on your BCD when you travel. For me that includes:

Safety whistle tucked into shoulder strap
2 cutting devices -- 1 high on left strap, 1 low on right waist strap.
Nautilus GPS locator on left waist strap.
DSMB and connected spool in left BCD pocket
Spare mask and roll-up snorkel in right BCD pocket
Pen light on right chest D-ring (nice to peek into crevices even during daytime)
Rattle tucked into Octo holder pocket
Water-activated marker light on small tank retention strap

Also when traveling, some boat dive ops won't let you take their gear with you to shore dive on your own (some consider rentals to be just for the boat, while some consider them for the day).

I responded rent/rent from the standpoint that a fair few new divers wind up quitting. If you're really certain to stick with it, then out of these options I would buy a BC (remove much variability in weighting) then look for a deal on a used reg set.

As a new or reactivating diver, it makes sense to try a few different BC systems before you commit. Returning to diving last year, I learned belatedly about BP/W and now I am all in.

A reg is a reg is a reg. Get a good set. Or two.

Don't buy either before your first trip or ~10 dives after OW (at lest 5 of which aren't part of a class). Not a bad idea to wait till > ~20 dives. Buy the one where the variability in rentals bothered you most first.

Back
Top Bottom