poll: HID lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
how are everyones HID lights? Do you like yours and for what reasons?
I'll start.
I am on my first HID. Bought it used. It is a DiveRite 10 watt lead/acid battery.
big battery & cannister = heavy.
I like the beam and color(non focusable and kind of blue in color) but the lighthead is very delicate.
I have had to spend almost as much on repairs as I paid for the light... insurance, shipping and handling to Florida, cross border and UPS fees. Worth it?? not sure. Was just a combination of problems (not related to the previous owner.) I could have bought a new light with warranty. oh well live and learn.
I have seen and heard the Halcyon/Salvo issues. I kind of lean towards the GreenForce. Very small battery pack and small light head. I have not heard of any issues with that light.

next.....

I have 2 DR's, which are fine with very "light" use, but I've read Salvo and GF are bullet proof. Same for Sartek.

What issues have you heard about Salvo?

What issues have you heard about Salvo?[/QUOTE]

apoligies...no issues with the light itself but the politics behind the companies involved.

Oh, that's what I thought after I made my post.

As I said before, I have two DR's; the new MR 11 and the MR21 updated to the 24W. The MR11 is a great light. Very small and w/ the 4.5 ah canister, it's a neat package. The 24W light beam is very much brighter than the 10W and is like a big baseball bat. It feels like your wellding a weapon almost. It's a very bright light, but I feel like I need to be very careful w/ the light beam, which I do.

Hands down, my absolute favorite piece of gear is my Salvo 21W HID light. It goes with me everywhere; I do not dive without it. It is not fragile (thank goodness, because I have dropped the light head on the concrete before) and it is bright and focused enough to cut through Puget Sound murk. A great piece of equipment, and I think it's a safety thing, too.

yah mine is the MR11 wreck but a lead acid battery. A burn time of 240 min and overnight to charge. I usually do 2-3 dives and then recharge. Apparently no "memory" for not fully draining the battery down like my old bicycle lead acid batteries. The guy I bought my light from had bought the DR 21 with the 24w upgrade. The beams sie by side are quite different in color and beam. I believe his was focusable tho.

I have the Green-Force flex II HID 50 and never had a problem with the light. It about the same size as a DR slim canister just build better and stronger. If you want to upgrade all you need to do is buy a new head for it.

I have over 100 dives with the light with no issues.

Cheers

Al

I have had DR and they have worked suitable for me I now use them as a student light or buddy light when a buddy doesn't have one but I rely on my Salvos for all my diving. I have two 21 w and they have proven themselves over and over again doing some very demanding dives.

It is a DiveRite 10 watt lead/acid battery.
big battery & cannister = heavy.
I like the beam and color(non focusable and kind of blue in color) but the lighthead is very delicate.
I have had to spend almost as much on repairs as I paid for the light...

Seems I saw that DR has an upgrade program. Might be worht looking for.

As for us we have two Salvo 10w HIDs. Only got a few hours on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom