Police Week in Washington DC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone. Just thought I would ask, since its always nice to have some ideas before you go into something...

I'm headed to Washington DC May 12-16th for Police Week. http://www.policeweek.org/

I'm going with our State Fraternal Order of Police Lodges... (This is my first year as Auxiliary VP, so I'm pretty excited about it!)

Anyway... has anyone ever been to DC during this time? Are there certain things that I should look for or expect??

Thanks, in advance! :)

K

Congrats, Kayla!

Though I've not been back east to DC, I've always wanted to go for the law enforcement memorial. Someday.

Have a great time!

Im told that this is a very emotional week, and that I should bring lots and lots of tissues. That, I can do.

Now, the only task left is raising the rest of the $$$$!

Yes, I'm told it's extremely emotional. Of course with me, anybody starts playing Amazing Grace on the bagpipes and it's all over for me. Too many cop and firefighter funerals, too many friends gone.

Yes, I hear you. My father and I are the same way. Were heading to Eastern Washington this week for another officers funeral. Its the worst thing in the world.

I know, it's awful.

Did the officer die in the line of duty? There have been so many, lately, that I can't seem to keep track.

Yes. He was a motorcycle officer. Very sad story... The latest details I have are that he was hit by a semi truck on his way to a call-- a call that later turned out to be fake.

Geez, I'm sorry.

I didnt know the officer personally, but as a state officer, I make it a point to get to every funeral. Will definetley be sending thoughts and prayers that direction...

I have not been to Police Memorial Week at DC myself, but several at my department have. It's a very emotionally wrenching experience from what I've heard about it.

I've visited the Memorial at Judiciary Square at a different time of year, and even that brought out some strong feelings. I know one of the names on that wall, and it was years after his death :(

One of the more positive aspects of Memorial Week is witnessing the spirit of brotherhood/sisterhood among law enforcement officers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom