Polartec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My instructor made a remark that he uses a Polartec wetsuit because it is not bouyant. I am having trouble finding a wetsuit that explicitly says it is Polartec. What is an example of such a suit. This seems better than neoprene. Is this true? Thanks.

I LOVE my polartecs! I have two full body suits and two hooded vests. I can comfortably dive for 60 ish minutes in water down to around 21-22C in just the vest and suit. If it's colder than that, I throw on a 3mm over the top and stay toasty to about 19C.

They are actually negatively buoyant when wet (you probably won't notice it, but they will sink if they go overboard...experience here) and retain a ton of water back on deck, so you'll want to wring them out so they dry faster. Once you do that they dry pretty quickly.

Mine are called sharkskin and are made by Extreme here in Australia. A search should provide something similar and your instructor should be able to tell you what brand he is using to get you started.

They don't suit everyone, but I can't imagine having to dive without mine now. Been using them for over eight years.

Pretty durable, but depends on the type of diving you do as to how long they will last - same as any suit.

alcina:
I LOVE my polartecs! I have two full body suits and two hooded vests. I can comfortably dive for 60 ish minutes in water down to around 21-22C in just the vest and suit. If it's colder than that, I throw on a 3mm over the top and stay toasty to about 19C.

They are actually negatively buoyant when wet (you probably won't notice it, but they will sink if they go overboard...experience here) and retain a ton of water back on deck, so you'll want to wring them out so they dry faster. Once you do that they dry pretty quickly.

Mine are called sharkskin and are made by Extreme here in Australia. A search should provide something similar and your instructor should be able to tell you what brand he is using to get you started.

They don't suit everyone, but I can't imagine having to dive without mine now. Been using them for over eight years.

Pretty durable, but depends on the type of diving you do as to how long they will last - same as any suit.

i have something similar they are called aeroskins made by orca. they are made of lycra similar to cycling shorts material??? same?

A hassle? I'm not sure why you'd think that?

They are easy on and off, whisk water away from your skin so you feel toasty, wind-resistant shell so you can leave it on while on the deck (I change the full suit, but will often leave the vest on).

Here's a link to an Aussie site http://www.aquanaut.com.au/products/sa.shr/aquagogglebrand_product/4/23/76/0/511

Polartec is wonderful stuff - high insulation value, relatively low loft, durable, and more. It is a patented brand name material manufactured by Malden Mills. It comes in a number of variations and weights (thickness).

There used to be a company in the Pacific NW that made custom drysuit underwear from Polartec but I understand that they've gone by the wayside. Hopefully someone will pick up the ball.

In warm water, a fleece suit might replace a conventional neoprene wetsuit - though it won't provide as much insulation and it would tend to snag. It's also heavy when wet, though it dries pretty quickly. It might not be neutrally bouyant but it's going to be close. In cold water, because water flows through it, it just isn't warm enough to use.

Malden Mills: http://www.maldenmills.com/

FWIW all the polartec suits I've seen, and used, are all polartec lined with some sort of lycra fabric shell. This eliminates the snagging problem externally and the area around the zipper, at least on the suits I've seem, is the flat material too so you won't get the interior stuff caught.

Heavy when wet...too right they are! Expect that dive box/bag to weigh a lot more lugging it back to the car :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom