Polar wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all depending what kind of diving you do.

I live in Southern California where the coldest temp during the winter even at 100+FSW is about 50-F. Chilly but do-able for me. Others don't care for it, even guys who are "well insulated". But it's do-able for me.

I don't like to stay in the water for much more than 40-minutes. I get bored.

On a single 100-cf or 120-cf tank dive to 100-130 FSW, I can stay down up to 20-minutes, which is plenty for me.

Given these parameters, a good 7-mm suit is sufficient for my purposes. If I were to want to go down and stay for longer than that, or dive in the Pacific Northwest, or the Great Lakes, etc., then I'll consider drysuit. But right now wetsuiting it is plenty good for me.

I know this is an old thread . I just wondered how yu made out. I dive in Wisconsin and use a 7mil wet with a 7mill step thru hooded shorty. I did my ice diver in this rig and had no real problems. yes I have a dry suit but I'm tired of dumping big $ in it every year. I now have a Pinnacle Kodiak that I am going to try.

Thanks for the feed back on this subject, appreciate it. Ya its all bout a money thing. The polar suit I can get for half the dry suit. I was just wondering if this suit was worth the money. (Maybe). The issue is between dives. In order for me to dive more than one tank is if its in the upper 70s or 80s. And that don't happen up here that often. The 7mm suit I have is fine for a single dive. I stay plenty warm. Maybe Ill bring my torpedo heater with me and warm up that way between dives. Although some day Ill own a dry suit.

Thanks again!!
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom