point & shoot for everybody?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alcina

I have the Canon S400 4-megapixel camera and Canon's case. The case gives full access to all controls. It is very easy to use. I saw a comment earlier about why paying for small when small is bad underwater. I disagree with this except for the size of the LCD. Sometimes it is hard to verify focus on the small LCD but other than that, the smaller the better in my opinion.

Another general comment. The quality going from 3 megapixels to 4 or 5 isn't the important part for U/W shots. IT's the ability to crop the shot down to the interesting part and still have enough pixels for a quality JPG or print. If you start cropping a 3 megapixel shot, you quickly get down to where a 4x6 print will start to look digital. You have much more freedom with a 5 megapixel shot to crop it down and still have plenty of pixels left. The S400 is only a 4 megapixel camera.

Here are some sample UW shots (right after the few land shots) and a picture of the camera & housing so you can see the size.

Cozumel shots:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=356678

Isla Mujeres shots:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=317259

I have a buddy who just got the Oly C5050, Ikelite case, and YS 90-DX strobe. THe case cost as much as the camera and the strobe was that much again. However, this is a 5 megapixel camera with TTL. It is considerably bigger than the canon setup but Ikelite makes great cases. Many people on this board have the Oly as well. I would like the TTL since you don't have to wait for the internal flash recycle time to take the next shot. External strobes usually have a much faster recycle time.

In my setup, the strobe was the expensive part. The camera+case was < $500 and the strobe was about that much. I should have gotten the 90-DX strobe for more power.

Good luck

Ken

Kong -

Thanks for the post! If I were buying this camera for me to play with, I might spend the extra and go for a 4 or 5 camera...but at this stage I am only buying this to use with work and I think the lower cameras will work...everyone loves the results when they use my current A20!

I have the S400 on my short list if I decide to go for one for myself - glad to hear you like it! You seem to have gotten a good deal, too - I could only find the camera for $400 and the housing for $170ish! I am keeping my eyes open for after Christmas sales on the cameras and CF cards!

Merriest of holidays & happy Diving in the New Year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom