Point Lobos Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymanmark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can someone recommend some dive sites in Point Lobos for relatively new divers (22 logged dives)? We have dove in Monterey Breakwater for OW cert dives, Grand Cayman, and the rest in lakes (Folsom Lake, Blue Lake, and Bowman Lake). We are certified AOW

Whaler's Cove is the only dive site from shore in Pt. Lobos. You have to make reservations with the Park Service, which you can do on line. The cove is a very nice place to dive, and as I understand it, is generally pretty sheltered from the worst of the swell. The topography is beautiful and there is a lot of life there. Look for some of Gombessa's videos to see what it can be like!

There are a lot of very active Monterey divers here on SB -- I'm sure if you guys wanted to dive Lobos and posted requesting an experienced companion, you'd have no problems coming up with one.

There are 5 easy dives that I regularly do. I have written descriptions of my two favorites buried in my emails. PM me if you want. I can post it here, but I am not sure whether everyone would want this lengthy description.

Two questions, 1) when was the last time you dove Monterey type conditions? 2) are you comfortable diving in those conditions? (kelp, cold, limited visibility, swell, navigation, lots of weight...)

Last edited:
Hi,

I think you'll really enjoy Lobos. We dive it weekly and love it :)! In general Whalers Cove if pretty safe if you are accustom to diving Kelp, but it's important to watch the tide tables/conditions report. Entry/Exit are on the algea slick boat ramp where numerous divers have slipped and broken bones. If there is surge,high tide is the best time for exit/entry. Weekends require reservations made 1-2 months in advance.

Drop into our local NoCal forum to say hi and post your local questions :)

NorCal - ScubaBoard

I will recommend what NOT to dive at Pt. Lobos: Don't dive Whaler's Cove
south of the the north end of the of parking lot. While there's occasionally
something interesting, it's not very good diving.

And go up on top of the bluff and note where the sand channel through
the kelp is. That channel is your friend.

+1 for what Chuck said.

I personally try to stay away from Whaler's Cove as much as possible. Even if I'm shore diving, I'll kick out to the end of the wash rocks at Cannery Point, then start diving. If I'm feeling really ambitious and seas are flat, I'll take the shortcut into Bluefish Cove, then do a one-way dive around Cannery Point and back to the ramp.

Hello,
I am searching for a diving vacation place for mid december (always a procrastinator) and this sounds intriguing. I have done lots of warm water diving and w/ the exception of my initial ow certification have not dived in cold waters. Is there a local dive shop that would accompany people at this location for peace of mind & safety?

Back
Top Bottom