Point and shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of threads on this including one that Alcina has created which answers ALL your questions on getting your first camera and housing. Open up the Underwater Photography forum and look at the "stickies."

The quick answer would be

Point and shoot is as the name says, you just point and shoot and be happy with what you get. Some may have an UW, sport, etc. settings.

With other cameras you have some or all control of your camera settings i.e. shutter speed, aperature, ISO

Then there are those where you can change the lenses too.

For more details see the threads that TSandM suggested :)

justleesa:
The quick answer would be

Point and shoot is as the name says, you just point and shoot and be happy with what you get. Some may have an UW, sport, etc. settings.

With other cameras you have some or all control of your camera settings i.e. shutter speed, aperature, ISO

:)
I don't think this is a correct definition. My Oly7070 is definitely a point and shoot, but I can operate it in full manual mode, speed, shutter and f stop. I also can manually adjust white balance and whole mess of other stuff that, as soon I as learn it, I promptly forget it.:rofl3:

I think that most people categorize the digital cameras as

1. Point and shoot - a camera that generally has a live preview and a fixed lens. They can be housed and sometimes used with external (wet) mounted lenses. The fixed lense is usually capable of doing wide angle to macro on the same dive. This capability is enhanced by external lenses. P-n-s cameras are desirable because of their lower cost, smaller size, and lighter weight. Some have features that rival the dSLRs at a much lower total cost.

2. dSLR - a camera with a changeable lens that generally does not have a live preview (except for the Olympus dSLRs and maybe Pentax), requiring the photographer to look through the viewfinder. Since you have to select your lens before the dive, you generally have to choose between the macro end or the wide-angle end of the lens spectrum. There are medium zoom lenses that can do both, to a limited degree. dSLR cameras are desireably because of their lack of shutter lag, light gathering capability, and greater versatility when compared to a p-n-s. A dSLR kit would generally cost at least 3x the cost of a p-n-s kit, excluding strobes.

You can also buy dedicated underwater cameras that are usually point and shoots that are sold with a housing or have an integrated housing. Many people feel that these setups require too many compromises (limited land use, or adjustability, resolution, compatibility with other equipment) and be worth the expense.

David

The terms are from dry land cameras. Before digital, things were a bit more sharply defined betwen the point-and-shoot no brainer cameras used to take snapshots, and the SLR cameras used by serious photographers. If the camera was by Kodak it was a point and shoot. It it was a Nikon, it was a SLR. (Oversimplified, but too far off the mark for film cameras).

Unlike the PNS cameras, SLRs could change out lenses, and had much more user control of the camera --- manual focus, aperature and shutter control, etc. The typical point and shoot always run with autofocus and autoexposure. If there were any user controls, there were typically limited to not much more than turning the flash on and off.

While there may not be much agreement about the specifics of the definitions, the general concept is that point-and-shoot cameras are made for people that just want to take snapshots without worrying about exposure settings, focussing, etc.

Nowdays, there are some nice very small cameras that can both be operated in the no brainer "point it and shoot it" mode, as well as using the menu functions to get more detailed control of the shot.

For underwater photos, some important features to look for when picking out a point and shoot camera are manual white balance, and either manual focus or preset focus distance options.

If you are looking for a simple to use camera to take some photos of you and your friends diving, the point and shoot is the way to go. You can get some very small ones where the housed camera can slip into a BCD pocket.

If the purpose of your diving is photography, if you intend to get strobes, multiple lenses and strive for the very best possible photograph, then stay away from point and shoot cameras because they will just frustrate you with their limitations.

fairybasslet:
I don't think this is a correct definition. My Oly7070 is definitely a point and shoot, but I can operate it in full manual mode, speed, shutter and f stop. I also can manually adjust white balance and whole mess of other stuff that, as soon I as learn it, I promptly forget it.:rofl3:

If you shoot in p mode you have a point and shoot....if you change the settings, you are no longer just pointing and shooting :) I think at one point cameras like yours (and mine) were called "semi DSLR" because of their flexibilites

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom