Pockets for my wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving dry exclusively for a few years now, and have been totally spoiled by having thigh pockets. I dove my wetsuit recently and really missed having them. What are some good options for adding pockets to my suits. Are glue on's the way to go, or would a pair of strap on pockets be better, as I have two wetsuits?

Thanks,
Jim
I dive with pockets on my wetsuits, nice place to store the necessities. You can go with either the Halcyon or Dive Rite pockets, Velcro flaps openings preferred as it's easy open-get what you need.

I have glued mine on with wet suit cement after you drymount them and mark off the corners. these pockets have lasted and stayed firm for at least 500 to 700 dives. You can also have them sown on as well, but most I've seen have been glued. When done right, they look sharp and smart.

The X-Shorts I've seen but I think you can forget them in the heat of things, not to mention putting them on and taking them off.

I used to dive with a pair of X-shorts (dive X-tras).

They were a good idea, but of poor build quality. Both pockets were deteriorating quite fast. After something like 50 dives the stitching was getting apart and had to sew them again. Last week both pockets completely broke (luckily the gear was secured to bungee so no loss).

Anyway, after getting accustomed it is difficult to revert back to diving without pockets, so I am looking for alternatives. As I dive with too many different suits, gluing is not an option so it must be something similar like the ones mentioned in this post (holsters, highland, piranha etc.).

I used to dive with a pair of X-shorts (dive X-tras).

They were a good idea, but of poor build quality. Both pockets were deteriorating quite fast. After something like 50 dives the stitching was getting apart and had to sew them again. Last week both pockets completely broke (luckily the gear was secured to bungee so no loss).

Anyway, after getting accustomed it is difficult to revert back to diving without pockets, so I am looking for alternatives. As I dive with too many different suits, gluing is not an option so it must be something similar like the ones mentioned in this post (holsters, highland, piranha etc.).

Look into the Halcyon pockets, you are going to want to get the larger ones for more storage:D

The original X-shorts had a manufacturing problem, and the stitching eventually pulls through the fabric and the pockets fail. They stopped making them for a while, until they could figure out the problem and re-source the items. The new ones do not appear to have the same problems at all.

(I bought several sets when they were dumping the original ones for $20 on e-bay -- it doesn't take too long before the pockets unravel. Peter has a set of the new ones, and they seem to be going strong.)

I've got a pair of the large Halcyon pockets. First rate construction with heaps of space, wetnotes pocket & sewn-in loop for hooking off accessories. Only downside is price.

I had a pair of OxyCheq "G" pockets on my 7mm FJ wetsuit almost exclusively for cave diving. The suit after about 350 dives is falling apart. Whatever Gamble did to get those pockets on there has worked like a charm. I've no issues with peeling or anything else for that matter. I'm tough on my gear, travel a lot (which isn't so good for gear), and dive as much as possible. The pockets held strong.

As the suit is falling apart, I picked up some XS-Scuba pockets from Amigo's with my new suit (the same 7mm FJ (Henderson))...round two.

I've installed XS-Scuba, DSS, OxyCheck and Halcyon pockets onto both my girlfriends and my wet and dry suits using aquaseal. Just mark the area in chalk while wearing the suit, stretch it with cardboard and glue!

The OxyCheck and Halcyon pockets have held up the best over the last year. Only the XS-Scuba pockets have ripped, all the others i'm sure will outlast the suits.

I've installed XS-Scuba, DSS, OxyCheck and Halcyon pockets onto both my girlfriends and my wet and dry suits using aquaseal. Just mark the area in chalk while wearing the suit, stretch it with cardboard and glue!

The OxyCheck and Halcyon pockets have held up the best over the last year. Only the XS-Scuba pockets have ripped, all the others i'm sure will outlast the suits.

I am curious, I understand you wanting pockets on your wetsuit and drysuit but why on your girlfriends? Also where did you install it on them?

The Scubapro pockets ^ appear to be floppy pockets and personally something I hate. I have them on my Fusion Tech Skin LE and could not feel them with my dry gloves. They also have a knack for catching on kelp more than a stiffer pocket that the kelp slides off of. I did a few dives this past weekend with my X-shorts over my Fusion skin and much preferred the larger stiffer pocket. The XS pockets are of a fairly stiff cordura that can be felt with gloves on. Some people like zippered pockets but a jammed zipper is not a good thing, plus they are harder to open and close. Velcro is definitely my preferred pocket closure, and I would like it a wide band of velcro that goes from the front of the pocket all the way to the rear so stuff doesn't spill out, especially while surface swimming. Hence another reason for a stiffer pocket since it keeps it's shape better it doesn't allow stuff to spill out as easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom