PNG Trip Report: Star Dancer/Walindi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Folks,

MJH...you'll find a few of the 600+ shots I took in PNG in my ScubaBoard photo gallery:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/4262

I've been too lazy to upload many others, though I carry them around on my laptop and am ready to bore unsuspecting victims to death should they make the mistake of asking about my PNG trip!

PACIFIC PETE: You know, as I think back, I really don't recall any wildlife around Walindi, other than a chorus of birds, more heard than seen. Of course the only outdoor land experiences I had were walking the grounds of the plantation and spending a day at the Hot River.

Hello ikepharm, I dove Eastern Fields, it's top notch diving. I saw lots of sharks, including many Hammerheads and Silver Tips and tons of colorful soft coral. Not as much diversity as Milne Bay, but tons of pelagics and big stuff. And Golden Dawn is by far my favorite boat-most sea worthy, best food, best crew to guest ratio and a very experienced rebreather diving Captain who knows and dives all of PNG. He's an incredible resource. You will dig it-Andy

Peter:

Awesome trip log! We're headed over in about seven weeks. You noted that immigration and customs was a snap. Did you obtain your visa on arrival?

Can't wait to get there! Thanks!
Eric.

You noted that immigration and customs was a snap. Did you obtain your visa on arrival?

Hey Eric,

Yes. Though I had gone onto the official PNG govt website, downloaded and filled out all the forms ahead of time, if memory serves, I needed none of them on arrival. The immigration stop took all of two minutes. All you need to do is change some money before arrival (Australian airports have Kina). Customs was equally perfunctory--a quick rummage in my duffel back and off I went. If you're going to be on a Hughes boat, check with their office; their staff regularly visits PNG and it was one of them that desacribed to me in detail exactly what to expect.
I can say, without hesitation, that you will be blown away with the diving. No place I've dived has even come close! Have a ball!

(Oh and don't forget to look for my avatar in the POM airport. Took me a while to figure out what it meant!)

Best Regards,

Many thanks, Peter! We won't worry about visas ahead of time then. We'll be on the FeBrina. I think reality is beginning to sink in - after all this planning, the time's getting close. Eric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom