PNG - areas compared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayan:
Great to hear that George is still there, as for Duke of Yorkes, have done a few dives there already, Cold Reef, Valley fo the Fans and the water was just toooo cold for me, call me a wimp but I like the water temp in the mid to high 80's now and spend time in the shallows watching the world go by.
Hi Wayan,
Did PNG and Met George. I'm also going on Pelaian in 2 weeks out of Wakatobi Will let you know how it went. I am curious about Golden Dawn as I'm booked for Nov '06. The trip is slated for Eastern Fields. Did you go with Craig? If so, was it it as good as is said? One of my Dive Bud has problems with bumpy seas. How was the ride? Thanks in advance ?

Ike

ikepharm:
Hi Wayan,
Did PNG and Met George. I'm also going on Pelaian in 2 weeks out of Wakatobi Will let you know how it went. I am curious about Golden Dawn as I'm booked for Nov '06. The trip is slated for Eastern Fields. Did you go with Craig? If so, was it it as good as is said? One of my Dive Bud has problems with bumpy seas. How was the ride? Thanks in advance ?

Ike
Hey Ikepharm, the Golden Dawn is the only liveaboard I know of that has both passive (at anchor flopper stoppers) and dynamic stabilizers, which utilize a gyro and hydraulics for operation while she is underway. These systems combined with her very giving wood hull make her the most sea-worthy boat you'll probably ever board. I was able to sleep through an on-beam crossing of the Vitiaz straight (btw mainland PNG and New Britain) with 12 ft plus seas. This is something that could not even be attempted without dynamic stabilizers. If you want to make sure you get the smoothest ride on any boat, always try to get the cabin which is lowest down in the hull and just behind the middle of the boat. That's where there will be the least motion-Andy

ikepharm:
Hi Wayan,

Ike

The crossing can be a little bumpy (but really just a overnighter) but once out there your are generally inside this huge reef system for the remainder of the trip (until the trip home of course) .. Make sure you do Carl's ultimate and shaw's delight - 2 fantastic dives. I could have done carls ultimate for 2 days running a fanatastic dive.

Eastern Fields is certainly a top spot and should be on peoples to do list...(or was 5 years ago when I was there with Golden Dawn.

Wayan:
Great to hear that George is still there, as for Duke of Yorkes, have done a few dives there already, Cold Reef, Valley fo the Fans and the water was just toooo cold for me, call me a wimp but I like the water temp in the mid to high 80's now and spend time in the shallows watching the world go by.

Yeah, there are some cooler currents there. That's why there is so much to see. My computer said it was only 3-4 degrees cooler. At the usual 86 degrees, that wasn't too terrible. I'm sure I'm as big a cool wimp as you are!! LOL!!
I wear a three mil and a beanie. I'm usually the first one to get cold, but I survived there.

Thank you, Are you going to the Solomons and if so have you heard anything about the logging activities affecting the quality of diving.
Tony

I started this a few months ago now and have just confirmed a reservation of FeBrina for 29 September 2006 on a Walindi, Witu, Fathers, Walindi route preceeded by a couple of days at the Walindi resort.

Thanks for all the input and I'll post report on return (11.5months away!)

Alison

You are going to love it, love it, love it!! Insanely great diving, toasty water, great Captain and, from what I've heard, great boat.

Still the best diving I've done (we'll see how the Solomons stand up, starting next week!).

Congratulations. Enjoy the 11 month anticipation (It was great for me to have 8 months to lounge in the thoughts of Solomons to come).

Best,

alijtaylor:
I started this a few months ago now and have just confirmed a reservation of FeBrina for 29 September 2006 on a Walindi, Witu, Fathers, Walindi route preceeded by a couple of days at the Walindi resort.

Thanks for all the input and I'll post report on return (11.5months away!)

Alison

You'll love it, PNG is an enchanting area. Here's a picture of Febrina just leaving Walindi, I took it when the Star Dancer was pulling in. These pics are from Fathers area, most likely you'll be diving some of the areas. :D

peterjmaerz:
You are going to love it, love it, love it!! Insanely great diving, toasty water, great Captain and, from what I've heard, great boat.

Still the best diving I've done (we'll see how the Solomons stand up, starting next week!).

Congratulations. Enjoy the 11 month anticipation (It was great for me to have 8 months to lounge in the thoughts of Solomons to come).

Best,

Whoa Peter, I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip to the Solomons. How long wil you be there and where exactly will you be?

Hey Cay...

I'll be on board the Spirit of Solomons (sister ship to the Bilikiki) for 14 (count 'em) days starting next Thursday. The excursion begins out of Honiara, capital of Guadalcanal and steams northwestward through the Floridas, the Russells and points beyond.
My flights there will include a new personal "best"-- 15.3 hours non-stop from ATL to Seoul S. Korea! Ambien, here I come! :)

I'll definitely post a report after I return.

Best,

Back
Top Bottom