PNG - areas compared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alison;
I have written on PNG diving for several magazines. In a nutshell:
Kavieng for pelagics. Milne Bay for small critters. New Britain for a mix of both, if conditions are good. Eastern Fields has tremendously prolific fish life, but consists of open-ocean reefs. No dry land to see, or for day excursions. North Coast offers quite interesting land visits in addition to diving. Outer islands such as Aua and Wuvulu are interesting to see, but not spectacular diving. Ninigos and Hermits have beautiful reefs and easy diving, plus some interesting islands and people to meet, and are rarely visited.
Depends what you want to see, and also want you want to see and do when not diving.

Thanks Thranx

Since I originally posted I have booked on Febrina for 10 days out from New Britian, including up to the Witus islands. Prior to the boat I am spending a couple of weeks in the highlands so have opted for a mixture in terms of the diving and some exposure to culture via the Goroka show and 8 days walking (with local guide and porter!).

Thanks for your post

Alison

I'm thinking of going on the Telita on one of their Louisiade trips. Anyone with experience diving this area? I know it is mostly exploratory diving, but the Telita have been doing trips there for a few years now, maybe one of you dive-gurus been out there?

//Olof

dykfrasse:
I'm thinking of going on the Telita on one of their Louisiade trips. Anyone with experience diving this area? I know it is mostly exploratory diving, but the Telita have been doing trips there for a few years now, maybe one of you dive-gurus been out there?

//Olof

Hello dykfrasse, I've been to the Louisiades on Golden Dawn, as far out as the Hastings group. Very good viz, good fish life. A little less sharky than other parts of MB, but I did see some Hammerheads and Grey Reef sharks. Telita is a fine boat, try to get on one of the charters with Bob Halstead as Capt. as he knows the area better than anybody else. Telita and GD sometimes do the Louisiades as part of a longer one way trip from Alotau to Port Moresby. These trips are not to be missed as the Papuan Barrier reef is virgin diving and there are virtually no people living on the SE coast, amazing fish life all the way up the food chain. I have done this trip and it was one of the best dive experiences I have ever had. Happy trails. -Andy

We loved Milne Bay, PNG! We did the Mike Ball liveaborad out of Milne Bay on the Paradise Sport for 12 days. From the swebsite we decided on the types of creatures and diving we wanted, then time of year. Finally, we looked at all the group photo shots to see when there were the fewest people! We went in December of 2003 when 11 of 22 passengers were on board. We had the 12 crew all to ourselves. The food was magnificent and the Nitrox was great. We were so pampered! I cannot remember any rain on our trip. As soon as the weather woud turn bad, we moved to another dive location. The shore bound adventrues were amazing too. Skull caves, tropical birds, flowers, hot springs and very wonderful children performing a sing-sing. I want to go back soon.

alijtaylor:
Thanks Thranx

Since I originally posted I have booked on Febrina for 10 days out from New Britian, including up to the Witus islands. Prior to the boat I am spending a couple of weeks in the highlands so have opted for a mixture in terms of the diving and some exposure to culture via the Goroka show and 8 days walking (with local guide and porter!).

Thanks for your post

Alison

You are going to love the Witus. When you get to Garove Island, please say HI to my friend Dickie Doyle. Tell him the Finch sisters say HI. Tell him Tau's (his recently deceased wife) canoe paddle hangs in a place of honor in my house and is admired by all who visit my home.
Get good pics of the huge mandarin fish in the crater (well, huge by mandarin standards, anyway).
Also say Hi to my friend George at Killibob's Knob and Elsie the turtle.
I envy your going there before me.
Be careful in the highlands. I am always watchful there. Trouble between clans flaresup very quickly. Trekkers have had trouble with tribes charging to cross their lands. Hope all goes smoothly.

Allison
I'll do my best to pass on appropriate greetings, this board was certainly influential in helping me select my trip. Re taking care in the highlands - I will be cautious - not least because the diving trip is not until the end of the holiday!
Alison

Back
Top Bottom