Pneumothorax- recovery procedure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swim, stationary cycle IMO. I would not ride outside and risk a fall.

So am waiting for the consultant to give me official report from my CT scan today. My friend who works at the hospital said at first glance Pneumothorax is good and lung fully inflated.

However couple of the nasty ribs haven’t quite joined up yet. I have zero pain of discomfort so was quite surprised by this. But they were nasty pointy little f*****s when I broke them first.

Anyhow will post later when I get through the report by consultant and check the CT scan myself with my friend. Then it’s off to the dive doctor on a wing and a prayer.

Well looks like I’ll have to sit it out. One rib still hasn’t calloused. 9 weeks. But it was a nasty one.

Anyhow, I’m generally one for pushing the envelope a little but this one no. Not fair one anyone else.

Egypt in Oct hopefully. Maybe.

For now it’s walking 10k a day, can’t do anything more stressful on body than that.

Hope my injury helps people make good judgments about what are acceptable risks and to whom.

Thx,
John

Sorry you'll miss out on Indonesia! Fingers crossed for Egypt. Thanks for sharing your story, and please keep us updated. I haven't had to cancel a dive trip yet, but when I eventually do, I think it'll be helpful to remind myself that this happens and isn't the end of the world; why, just look at InTheDrink's awesome post-recovery pix!

Thanks and it’s the first big trip I’ve had to blank.

But as chance would have it bumped into a dive Instructor on Saturday who lost an experienced diver from pneumothorax a few years back and it still affects him. Nothing he could have done but still...

Dying is easy for the dead. But it leaves a whole bucket full of **** for a lot of other people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom