Pls Help - Housing for Coolpix 5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all - I am considering moving into underwater photography and envisage buying a housing for my Coolpix 5000. However there are several models available and I am totally lost as to which one to chose. Would anyone have some basic advice/ experience to offer (please don't get to technical as I am really a novice !) ?
Thanks very much in advance for your help

I outfitted a customer in an Aquatica housing and a Ike DS-125 for his CP5000. The Aquatica housing is $100 more at list, albeit with a less desirable handle (upgrade available). I recommended the Aquatica over the Ikelite for this camera. The housing is fantastic. The camera slips in with no holding tray. The hinged case is almost idiot proof as far as opening and closing, similar to a Gates video housing. It's smaller than the Ikelite unit. It has a hood over the LCD view finder.

The customer returned after his trip to Coz and thanked me for the recommendation. He was on a boat with someone else that had a CP in an Ike housing and said he was glad he got the Aquatica after watching the other diver set his rig up.

I sold him the Aquatica with the standard arm. If he wants to upgrade to a tray/handle/dual handle, he can do it later. I sold him a TLC standard arm set. He can reconfigure it by adding another section.

I was also quite impressed with the Ike DS-125 strobe. It's definitely their best design to date. If you look at weight/size/power/recycle time and value, it's top dog amongst the new breed of strobes. Of course I've still got my fire breathing power, fast recycle time, heavy as a brick SS-200s. Almost twice the power at twice the weight.

I was quite impressed with the CP5000. I have a CP995. No comparison. I housed the CP995 in an Aquatica A995 housing. I have nothing good to say about that particular housing. I wanted to take a sledge-o-matic to it. Aquatica got it right with the A5000 housing.

I think it's worth the extra $100 for the Aquatica housing.

Thank you. That's useful information. Also I heard that Sea&Sea is coming out with a new housing for the 5000.

I have a Ikelite housing and strobe and travel case will take $650.00 for it. I can be reached at my shop at 800-771-2763 or cell 352-613-2760

Back
Top Bottom