Plexiglass thickness for Camera Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwest_matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to build my own camera housing and I need to know what thickness plexiglass I should use for this particular venture.

1/4 to 3/8 for round tube, 3/8 to 1/2+ for flat end plates or rectagular housing depending on the size of the housing and how deep you plan on going.

captain

midwest_matt:
I'm looking to build my own camera housing and I need to know what thickness plexiglass I should use for this particular venture.

Hay Matt,

Check out my DIY site for some pictures and instructions on the housing I built. Most of the site is dedicated to DIY Lights but there is some stuff on a video camera housing I built.

DIY Site

Thanks for the info everyone. If I ever get around to building this I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

mddolson:
You are right polycarbonate is stronger than acrylic. The reason for using acrylic for the front and back plate (Lens ports) is it has the same refractive index as water!

Mike D

Acrylic has EXTREMELY poor impact resistance.. I have seen a 3/4 inch acrylic lense shatter with a minor impact..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom