Pleasure in Hong Kong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBD Ken

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A dive with a difference in HK

As the boat leaves the pier, divers start setting up their gear.
The usual islands appear in sight, those with the more popular sites, but the boat keeps going.

Time for the briefing. It looks like an UN -meeting, with
nationalities from all over the world represented.

We're some of the lucky ones and enter the water first. As we go down the line I get excited, like a kid on Christmas morning. Breath slooooowly, relax!

5, 10, 15 Metres, still see nothing but water. Computer shows 20 Metres, what is that dark shadow I can see? The viz seems to be around the 7 mtr.

Water is seeping into my mask, I'm smiling and grinning like that kid.
I clear my mask and then©å©å.
There she is, Hong Kong's newest dive site, a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet !

No©å. the next line doesn't read like "©Ând then I woke up©å".
Members of the "Sandy Bottom Divers" club in Hong Kong are trying to get an abandoned cargo-plane sunk as an artificial dive wreck.
A beacon of hope for marine life, at the otherwise barren mud bottom.

Crazy? Probably. Impossible? Well, as Captain Picard once said "Things are only impossible until they are not". Though Hong Kong is not known for diving nor for itÃÔ environmental friendly practices, this might just work.
The Hong Kong Underwater Association (HKUA) has already shown their support.
I hope that the international dive community share SBD-ers enthusiasm and show their support.
How? Visit sinkthe747.com and sign the petition There is also a link to a site you can sent ideas/suggestion and offers of help to?

Ken

Hi Ken -
the wife and I are looking at a possible relocation to Hong Kong from the US, what's the diving scene like? Is there a fair amount of local diving and dive operators or do most take trips to nearby locations? You metioned viz of about 7 M - is that typical? how about the water temp?

thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

The diving isn't brilliant here, hence our frequent trips with the "Sandy Bottom Divers" to Philippines and Bali. I actually just treturned froma 10 day trip to Kapalai with 5 other members.

Average viz is 3-5 mtr. During the summer season it can be less than that b/o the rain, while during the winter it can go up to 10-15 mtr. It's more likely to be below 6 mtr than above 6 mtr viz though.

Most diving is done to 14 mtr max. Deeper than that it gets too dark. Most of the regular dive sites aither don't gop that deep or you'll find only mud, courtesy of all the bottomtrawlers here.
You might want to check out the Sandy Bottom Divers club

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom