Please rate these five islands for the diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested in the opinions of those who know to rate these locations in order of their diving from best to worst and why :

St Thomas
St Croix
Grenada
Dominica
St Kitts

Thanks

To answer your question: Best to worst, Dominica tied Grenada, St Croix, St Kitts, St Thomas. All typical Eastern Carib, all tired reefs with whole species missing, large critters hard to find, generally fished hard for the last 150 years. (Dominca as an example, has lots of scrap mono-filament line, fish nets and active fish traps all over the Marine Park) All are good places to enjoy diving if you happen to be there, especially in winter.

To answer your question: Best to worst, Dominica tied Grenada, St Croix, St Kitts, St Thomas. All typical Eastern Carib, all tired reefs with whole species missing, large critters hard to find, generally fished hard for the last 150 years. (Dominca as an example, has lots of scrap mono-filament line, fish nets and active fish traps all over the Marine Park) All are good places to enjoy diving if you happen to be there, especially in winter.

I think this ranking is about right. Dominica is, perhaps, a bit less 'tired' because it is much less dived over than the other four because it has far fewer tourists. Almost no sandy beaches, very limited tourist infrastructure, two tiny airports, and hard to get to by air are all limiting factors that help to keep the small reef structures reasonably healthy. They are worked over by local fisherman, despite 'park' designations.

Conservation takes a back seat to economic imperatives on an island which, excepting Haiti, is the poorest in the Caribbean. Poorest in the Western Hemisphere, for that matter. The population of Dominica is tiny, less than 70,000. Everyone knows everybody else, and it would be hard to find a government minister, police officer, judge, or conservation official who is not related to some the fisherman who ignore restrictions. The curse of small islands; you don't give summonses or impose fines on your uncles and cousins.

An unstable, corrupt political establishment and the extreme vulnerability poverty creates are other elements in Dominica's catalog of problems, and the rapidly expanding Chinese presence does not bode well. Almost no assistance from the US. China, Cuba, and Venezuela are pretty much their only friends. I was there not that long ago when there was almost no gasoline to be had. Even busses and delivery trucks stopped running until an emergency supply came in from a Venezuelan tanker that had been rerouted.

It's still the loveliest most unspoiled island in the Caribbean, despite the 500 years of abuse that has been visited on the Caribbean Basin. The impact of tourism can best be gauged by observing what has happened to the reefs over time, by comparing the most heavily burdened by tourism with those least affected. Probably the most serious damage to the reefs in the southern end of Dominica has been inflicted by those wretched death stars, the mega cruise ships.

'Southern Cross' by CSN is one of those things that has stayed with me, in my mind for more decades than I like to think about.

Dominica is beautiful, bottom- and top-side. Dive in the am, explore the island in the pm. LIAT=Leaves Island Any Time. If the flight isn't full, they may wait until it is.

Dominica is beautiful, bottom- and top-side. Dive in the am, explore the island in the pm. LIAT=Leaves Island Any Time. If the flight isn't full, they may wait until it is.

LIAT= Luggage in another terminal

I'm flying Seaborne from San Juan in a few months. My previous 14 trips to Dominica since the late 90s were all on American Eagle, but they no longer fly out of San Juan. I'll give Seaborne a try. Seaborne has taken over several of the routes AE used to fly, and has a coordination arrangement with American. I have no easy way of getting to San Juan from Newark early enough for the daily flight to Dominica, so I stay over in Puerto Rico for a day or two on each leg. Being retired allows me the luxury of having plenty of time. I'll be in Dominica this trip for more than three weeks.

I do more than just afternoons topside. I dive about every other day, single dives only. At 71, I'm very careful. 70 feet max, long safety stops at 15 feet, very very conservative with the tables. My computer gets bored. I spend entire days in the rainforests and exploring topside. So much to see, old Maroon trails, estate ruins deep in the bush, abandoned cemeteries, amazing things to find, Iguanas, Boas, Parrots, artifacts of other eras.

I snorkel very early in the morning most days, watch the sun come up that way. Drifting down rivers directly into the sea is another snorkeling delight. It's amazing how some rivers are clearer than the sea.

Well, we got to see everyone of these locations on a cruise we just got back from, didn't get to do any diving but we did snorkel around a bit here and there.

Dominica was by far the absolutely most stunning of any of the locations. The jungle there is incredibly lush, definitely the lushes of any rain forest I've been to yet, seemed like you could just watch something grow if you stood there long enough.

Dominica would definitely be the place I would like to return to spend some time exploring topside and do some diving.

On Grenada we hired Telfore Bedoe, he's in his 70s and has walked an un-godly amount of miles in Grenada and other parts of the Caribbean, he took us on some guided hikes and was a real highlight of the trip, since he knows every plant that grows on his island. Really cool guy, we ate off the land with him, as he picked fresh fruits and such off of trees growing wild and helped the wives pick wild nutmeg off trees he found while we hiked with him.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated and will be stored away for a new trip to spend more time on individual islands next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom