Please Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over two days I went diving.

1st. Dive 40 feet/50 minutes
Next day
2nd Dive 83 feet/36 minutes
3rd Dive 50 feet/54 minutes

6 hours after last dive I get a sharp headache. Key part "six hours" after dive.

Get home and headache is very sharp and painful. Called DAN (Their assessment is sinus squeeze)

Instructors who I have spoken with expressed concern with this because of the six hour window from the issue. Meaning "sinus squeeze happens right in water or right after water, not six hours afterwards."

Followed DAN instruction to go to hospital if still having headache the next day.
Doctor has never treated a diver or a diver related injury. Did do a cat scan showing "zero damage to sinus area/zero injury to sinus area/zero inflammation to sinus area.

After leaving hospital called three hyperbaric chambers but it's too late in the day to see if the issue is truly "Sinus Squeeze" or if the issue is possible a worse issue due to the six hour after diving I started getting a headache that has lasted longer than 24 hours.

The headache is on the sides of my head and the front of my head. Very sharp headache.

Please help.
What was the CT Scan of? Head and neck CT? Can't diagnose someone without doing a history, physical exam, a other diagnostic test if any. Headache is a very nonspecific symptom with multiple etiologies possible.

What was the CT Scan of? Head and neck CT? Can't diagnose someone without doing a history, physical exam, a other diagnostic test if any. Headache is a very nonspecific symptom with multiple etiologies possible.

They did a CT Scan for the Facial Region to exam if my sinus area was ruptured, enflamed or filled with blood.

This would mean the assessment from DAN was accurate. However the CT Scan showed no damage, no inflammation.

So now with no diagnosis from a doctor (because the hospital doctor has never treated a diver before) and only an assessment from DAN, I am waiting to speak with another doctor at 7am for an actual Diagnosis on the medical issue I am experiencing.

My hope is a doctor experienced with divers injuries can give me a precise diagnosis.

I suspect nothing will come out of this am's visit either. Doubt this is diving related.
I know you want answers so sorry for being negative.

Chronic headaches need a workup and many times, there is no definitve cause.

They did a CT Scan for the Facial Region to exam if my sinus area was ruptured, enflamed or filled with blood.

This would mean the assessment from DAN was accurate. However the CT Scan showed no damage, no inflammation.

So now with no diagnosis from a doctor (because the hospital doctor has never treated a diver before) and only an assessment from DAN, I am waiting to speak with another doctor at 7am for an actual Diagnosis on the medical issue I am experiencing.

My hope is a doctor experienced with divers injuries can give me a precise diagnosis.

Andrew, sorry to hear about this. If headache is your only symptom, it's unlikely to be related to decompression sickness. Did the physician who examined you perform a neurological examination? It sounds like sinus barotrauma has been pretty thoroughly explored, though I'm not sure that it can be completely ruled out. Did you have any congestion prior to your dives? Any recent dental work? Given your description of the headache I also wonder about some kind of musculoskeletal injury. Glad to hear you're being worked up, I hope that someone can give you a solid diagnosis.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom