Please Help With Project Cocos Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LIVES4SHARKS

SHARK DIVA AI
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From the Shark Research Institute:
Cocos Island is a World Heritage Site, but it continues to be threatened by illegal fishing.
EarthImage has developed Project Cocos Island to address this problem. The project will use images and films to create a "Virtual Cocos Island" exhibit that will "immerse the Costa Rican people in the beauty and importance of this World Heritage Site."

The exhibit will:
1. Show the critical role that sharks play in the marine ecosystem.
2. Provide a real time database suggesting alternative jobs to the illegal fishermen.

The project has been submitted to American Express for funding. Projects are selected for funding based on votes by people like you and me. So, I am asking for your online vote for this project. The project is currently in second place (determined by votes) for a substantial grant from American Express.
Your vote is needed!
You can do this in one of two ways:

THE EASY WAY: Just enter your name in the subject line and "OK", and send the email to Earthimag@aol.com. Project Cocos Island will cast your vote for you. Your e-mail address will not be put on any list, and you will not be hassled in the future.
ALTERNATIVE: Go to http://www.membersproject.com/
Then scroll down to Environment & Wildlife, click on it.
It is the first project listed:
Protect Cocos Island - World Heritage Site
You will get all the details on the project, and you can vote yourself. This requires you to log in, but you do not have to have an America Express card, and it does not cost a dime.
As you know, I have never made this type of request before, but this is a very worthy project that will help not only Cocos Island and its marine life, but will help the long term sustainability of the people and natural resources of Central America.

With sincere thanks,
Marie Levine, Executive Director
Shark Research Institute

Please help us in our quest to further protect sharks!

Carolyn:sharks:

Carolyn - thanks for posting this!

I went to Members Project and voted. The voting for the TOP 25 ends on September 29th and the voting for the TOP 5 begins on September 30th. The winner will be announced on October 14th

Sean

PS - I am looking forward to seeing your photos from your tiger shark dive when you return

Back
Top Bottom