Please help with GoPro Hero 12 video setup with 5000 total lumens strobes. Iso Min/Iso max, HDR/standard, Natural color or flat, Auto white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPDiver84

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What do you recommend regarding my GoPro Hero 12 video set up? It's hard to find the specific setting when I search online because I use pretty strong strobes. We'll be diving in the South Pacific soon and visibility should be great. I use a SeaDragon 2500 lumen strobes set, one on each side for a total of 5000 lumens. Most of our diving will be anywhere from 30 to 100 feet, but most of it maybe at 60-80 feet during the main part of dives. Since I have a protective housing, I won't be able to change settings.

Iso Min and Iso max, one for sunny/partly cloudy days AND one for cloudy days?
HDR vs standard?
Natural color or flat?
Auto white balance?

Thanks.

Check the Backscatter.com website. It has LOTS of very useful information on appropriate UW video settings for GoPro. Check their YT channel also.

I've looked at that website before. It's still unclear to me what the iso max should be. Backscatter says 6400, but with the strobes that I have, I would think that could be too bright and a risk of potentially getting a lesser quality video. Some places say the lower the iso, the better.

Still trying to figure out standard vs HDR vs log. All have positives and negatives.

I've looked at that website before. It's still unclear to me what the iso max should be. Backscatter says 6400, but with the strobes that I have, I would think that could be too bright and a risk of potentially getting a lesser quality video. Some places say the lower the iso, the better.

Still trying to figure out standard vs HDR vs log. All have positives and negatives.
setting your max iso at 6400 will not make your image too bright. The GoPro will pick a lower ISO since you have plenty of light. Only use log if you are willing to do color grading in post. If not, you should pick standard or HDR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom