Please Help...What do I need??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a camera for taking underwater photos and I am having a great deal of stress which is something I do not need any more of trying to figure out what to buy. Almost all of my diving is done in Texas lakes in 5-15ft visability with 20ft on a good day. I know nothing about photography and would like an easy to use camera that will take good pictures with little help from me if possible. I also don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to waste money on a camera that doesn't take recognizable pictures either. Your help will be very much appreciated.

This is me :confused: , I would like to be:D

"would like an easy to use camera that will take good pictures with little help from me if possible"
There is no such camera.
"but I don't want to waste money on a camera that doesn't take recognizable pictures"
This is very true.

I suggest you look at the Olympus and Canon digital cameras and their respective brand housings. They are good cameras and take good pictures. This requires you to shop on the internet for different camera models and prices. You will have to learn the camera inside and out to make it work for you. It's only partially about the camera, the rest is up to you.

Thanks Gilligan, the info is much appreciated. Wish me luck.

Diving the rough central coast of California with top visibilty reaching 10' I should advise you to try possibly the Sea & Sea Motor Marine II. I have had much luck starting out with this camera. It's a somwhat cheep start up. Going digital is going to cost you and you want to really learn the basics of underwater photogphery before you go too far. You can see some of the pictures the Motor Marine II takes on my website at www.geocities.com/henryschmitz/coldh2oscuba.html Most of the pictutures were taken with that camera in low vis. You can normaly pick up these cameras for a few hundred bucks, since everyone seems to think digital is the way to go.

Thanks for the replys. I will continue mulling it over.

I'm using a canon A70 (you should get it for under 500, probably 400 now with the case) and I get decent pictures. I'm still shooting in automatic mode, but learning the new features as I go. It is very easy to use for someone that doesn't know much about photography. I get decent pictures (the more I use it the better the pictures become). I think the camera is great if you want something somewhat cheap to just point and shoot as you see something while you go by. If you are thinking about doing more then that or if you already do land photography you may consider getting a camera with more upgrade options. (maybe olympus 5050 which is probably about 600 for case + housing)
Here are pictures with the canon with about 15 feet of vis
http://s87910825.onlinehome.us/Monterey11-9_web/index.html
Look at all of Dee's post for the pictures from the 5050, but remember that both the camera is better and her ability is better then mine. Don't get the 5050 and be upset that you didn't get great pictures on the first dive.

Gilligan once bubbled...
You will have to learn the camera inside and out to make it work for you. It's only partially about the camera, the rest is up to you.

This is so true. It's a difficult and sometimes frustrating hobby but can be rewarding when you begin to see results. I tried just using the automatic functions on my camera at first but my photos came out flat and uninteresting. I have yet to even begin master my camera but I'm getting there in baby steps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom