Please Help - Remove Flash Link Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to get the Flash Link Adapter off of my new 1200. I have tried pulling but it doesn't seem to want to come off. It came out of the box already attached and I want to take pictures without the flash. Can anyone out there give me some advice to take it off so I don't break it?
Thanks much.

Last edited:
I have had wonderful luck calling the company re: my strobe. Sealife let me send them pictures of what I was trying to do and we discussed my problem while both the tech and myself had the visuals on our computer screens.

DaddyDon
The manual for sealife only tells you how to install it
not how to REMOVE it.

khadventures, I'm still trying to figure that out myself, I've got a DC 800 I'm trying to work with here. I'll PM you if I find anything out.

check your pm's khadventures

DaddyDon
The manual for sealife only tells you how to install it
not how to REMOVE it.

khadventures, I'm still trying to figure that out myself, I've got a DC 800 I'm trying to work with here. I'll PM you if I find anything out.
Well, yeah - if you can't remove it from the instructions on how to install it, then I guess they need better instructions. Sorry. I'm sure SL will come thru for you. Good luck.

I still haven't been able to get the Flash Link Adapter off of my new 1200. I have tried pulling but it doesn't seem to want to come off. It came out of the box already attached and I want to take pictures without the flash. Can anyone out there give me some advice to take it off so I don't break it?
Thanks much.

My SeaLife DC800 flash flooded with water during my last scuba trip so I decided to remove it from my camera altogether. Like you, I struggled to get the flash link adapter off the camera housing and I gave up for fear of breaking the damned thing. I finally decided to call SeaLife about it today and the lady there told me to simply place my fingernails or other object under the plastic link adapter (I used a small screwdriver) and wiggle it around while pulling the link adapter upwards. I did this and it finally popped off but it broke one of the plastic tabs on the link adapter in the process. I don't care about the broken plastic tab on my flash link adapter because I don't plan to use the flash with the camera again. I'm not a hardcore photographer and the available ambient light will be good enough for me. Of course, your photography/lighting needs may be very different from mine.

So that was my experience. I guess decide if you plan to use your flash again or not before removing the link adapter because it doesn't come off the camera housing very easily (maybe that's why this information was omitted from the user guide) and you might break the link adapter like I did when removing it.

Another option is to send the camera to SeaLife for service and ask them to remove it for you.

Good luck!

Hi, you have probably worked it out by now but if not, here goes.

Hold the camera facing you with both hands (one on each side).

Place you left thumb under the lip that extends from the top of the round case holding the flash link cable. It's the part that covers the inbuilt flash. Gently but firmly push upwards so the round case turns clockwise. There are two legs on the case that slip into two lugs on the camera and they lock into place when you rotate the case anticlockwise and unlock when you rotate the case clockwise. Good luck.

I'll just post what I sent to khadventures in case anyone else is viewing this
What Marshall_d said to do does not work on my housing as there's no groves or threading on the flash link or the DC800/1200 housings

kh~ and I were able to remove our flash links without breaking or scratching a thing
Below is what I PM'd to her:
_________
Take a small thin flat head screw driver. I used 1/8in wide; very thin as well.
Now with the camera lens facing you you'll see two lock points where the flash link locks in place.
You'll want to leverage the left one, below the shutter button and flash.

The point where you leverage is on the lower area of the lock point; closer to the base of the camera. Leverage from the side of the lock point, not straight up from the top. Your screw driver should be orientated so the end is pointing to the top of the camera case.

Apply a little leverage with one hand and with your other, apply a little force, pulling up on the part of the flash link that juts over the flash window of the case.

Once you get one lock out all you need to do is slide slightly and pull the other lock out.

PS if it helps to visualize, the locking mechanism consists of 2 flat pieces of plastic on the flash link that stick into the indents of the camera case.
There's no wedges or the likes to hamper you.

Have fun taking pictures

I'll just post what I sent to khadventures in case anyone else is viewing this
What Marshall_d said to do does not work on my housing as there's no groves or threading on the flash link or the DC800/1200 housings

kh~ and I were able to remove our flash links without breaking or scratching a thing
Below is what I PM'd to her:
_________
<snip>

Well, I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would privately message someone this information instead of posting it here so others can benefit from it also... but you must have your reasons.

At least the problem got solved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom