Please Help! It's Been 2 Years And I Still Only Have A Temp Id Card!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn:
The last post tells you what to do accurately, but I MAY be able to help you understand what happened.

When you are certified, the certifiying instuctor is required to send in your certification within 7 days--you should not have to do anything.

But....

In many cases in the Caribbean and Mexico, the instructors do not trust the mail system. They give you the materials and tell you to mail it in. I bet that's what happened in your case.

By the way, instructors are supposed to keep their records for 7 years.
good bet. and yes the instructor, as well as the dc is to keep the records for 7yrs. means the first screw up is happen at your initial dc if they cant find you (forget the computer - they should be able to pull your student file in paper out, original or copies at least, the next one would be your certifying instructor. anyway you have your temp card, do as recommended above! if there are questions padi would contact the certifying instructor for clarification. it might cause him a prob if he cant produce the documents / proof of your certification, as long as you have the temp card with his name, instr. number and signature you will get your card. also as stated above it will poss cost you $30 for it, til you slugged to stay in top of it - or did you actually got the papers and never send them in :wink:?

katnel:
i went by the scuba shop where i was trained and thought they'd be able to help me. i wasn't in the computer. apparently i'm not even in the padi system. they said the dive shop in cozumel was supposed to send off my paperwork and that they had dropped the ball. but...wasn't there something I was supposed to take care of myself at some point? i cant even remember! at my local dive shop they said that i could try calling the shop in cozumel but that they dont normally hang onto their records for very long. as it is, my local shop only keeps records for ONE YEAR! I couldn't believe it! they also suggested that i get my dive logs together (which i have, and they are signed and stamped by the cozumel shop) and try to find receipts for classes (we MAY be able to find bank records where we paid with credit cards, but i dont know about receipts!) and to have those papers ready to fax to padi when i call.

I haven't read all of the other posts, so I apologize if any of this is redundant.

First of all, ALL PADI Instructors are required by standards to keep student records for 7 years. Here in Mexico, we have to keep them for 10. By the way, I get really tired of hearing of local dive shops that assume that we don't follow standards and protocol here.

Second, it is actually standard procedure here in Cozumel for the instructor to sign your PIC (certification envelope/form) and have YOU mail it to PADI from the states. This is becuase the mail system to and from Cozumel is very unreliable. I never mail anything from here and always give my students their certification to mail in...otherwise, like you, they may never get it.

Are you sure that the instructor only gave you your temp card and not the entire form to mail in?

Your LDS SHOULD have records of your Knowledge development sessions and your confined water (pool) sessions. If not, they are also violating standards.

Do you still have your temp card? What dive shop in Cozumel and what was the instructor's name. I can try to help you if you have that information. Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Are your training sessions for OW logged and signed by your instructors? It shold be as that is also part of the PADI OW course. That will help.

You will at minimum have to pay for another c-card, which shouldn't be more than $25 or so...I would have to look up the cost of a replacement card from PADI.

I would also HIGHLY recommend a refresher course if it's been more than 1 year and a half or two since your last dive.

Your LDS should be more helpful and they are dropping the ball just as much if not more than your certifying instructor (in Coz). He may have actually given you the certification envelope or sent it in...but like I said, the mail from here is unreliable at best.

I hope we can help you get this resolved.

mobster75:
I had a situation where I took my OW class in '03 but never completed OW Dive 4, but the dive shop never bothered to at least mail in the paperwork for the Scuba Diver rating because I had asked for a referral thinking I would finish it on vacation

If they gave you a referral thinking you were going to finish it on vacation, then they weren't obligated to send in your paperwork for the ScubaDiver rating...unless you specifically went back to them and communicated that you wanted to gt your Scuba Diver rating.

If you truly aren't in the computer, you'll have to call PADI directly. If you still have your temp card. you may want to check it out for yourself, take the instructor number and go here http://www.padi.com/padi/en/kd/c-card/default.aspx

if you're in the system, you'll show up there (i did after 8 years).

I hope all works out

I had a PADI temp card for 10 years before I finally sent in the paperwork. I had the instructors info, my info, etc.

PADI honored it, and I had my card in a couple of weeks.

I then found the best instructor near me that I could find, explained my situation, and said I wanted to take a nitrox course that included a diving refresher. If you haven't been diving in two years take the refresher course.

In my own case, I was very tempted to take OW again, but I'd been AROUND diving, just not in the water.

Of course, I believe instructors can access the PADI membership records over the internet. Perhaps a friendly instructor here can check for you whether you are actually registered with PADI and just your card got lost in the post...

Also, if you're in Europe you can check your own records but I see you're in the US.

Cudabait:
Yep, the Coz instructor's the one who should have forwarded. Review your log book. You say were stamped and signed. Get the instructor's name and PADI number. PADI MAY be able to help with that info. Also he may not have been a current, certified instructor at the time he took your money. Good Luck!!

Regards,

Not advised in Coz ! Trust me,if the Coz instructor did submit the PIC to PADI it probably did not get there due to the mail system.

I frequently travel to Coz and take students on cert dives . We put the pic envelope in the students hand to mail to PADI once they get home.

Ron

Just one more thing to add... make sure you use the name that the Cozumel dive shop would have known you by (i.e. your maiden name).

To figure out if you're in the PADI database, go here: https://www.padimembers.com/sforms/rcol/default.aspx?lao=US and try out all possible permutations of your name.

KrisB:
Just one more thing to add... make sure you use the name that the Cozumel dive shop would have known you by (i.e. your maiden name).

To figure out if you're in the PADI database, go here: https://www.padimembers.com/sforms/rcol/default.aspx?lao=US and try out all possible permutations of your name.

Ummm... That PADI replacement card site says that I'm not in its database, but I have 2 PADI c-cards... So... take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom