Please help identify a tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi!

I have a steel tank that I purchased several years ago, and I am having trouble identifying its capacity and rating exactly. I'm pretty sure that when I bought it, I was told that it was a high pressure 120.

I need to do this because I am thinking of buying a matching tank to do some local diving. Also, I would also like to know the exact full and empty weight/buoyancy so that I can be more precise in calculating my weight requirements for when I travel and use a different tank with the same exposure suit.

It is a white steel tank made by Faber (according to the sticker). Here is what is stamped on the neck (a bit hard to read):

Faber, Made in Italy

M8303 02/0191/ 0 oo 01402 + SCC/120

TC-3AAM-244/ DOT-3AA 3180 REE 81

(I'm not sure if the last thing on the middle line is "SCC/120" or "5CC/120")

Thanks!

Mike

Yes it would appear that this is a high pressure Faber 120.

Unbelievably fast response! You rock...

Can you tell the service pressure rating from that information? Are all "high pressure" tanks rated the same?

Also, do you know how I can figure out the buoyancy and swing? I tried googling this, and searching for Faber, but I couldn't find a model chart. Also, I wouldn't know which model tank to specify?

Thanks again!

Mike

ScubaMilo:
The service pressure rating is 3180 psi.
The hydro date should have a + next to it indicating it can be overfilled by 10%.
Which would then give you a final fill pressure of3498 psi.
hope this helps.

Also try looking:
http://tdl.divebiz.net/pub/tanks.ht...8880c6&zenid=2f474dfa020217778f21388e9c92c1a0
This web page has a break down of most tanks on the market!
Look up the faber hp120.

Awesome... that's just what I was looking for...

What would the hydro date be? 01402? Isn't that missing a digit?

The hydro date would be a four digit number with a triangle looking mark between the two numbers.
The numbers would indicate the month and year of the original hydro or subsequent hydros.

Like 10^05 +
which would indicate it was last hydroed in oct of 2005 and recieved a plus rating.
hope this is helpful
The triangle may be many different looking stamps as it is a mark specific to who did the hydro.
But the original stamps I've seen on faber tanks have a triangle shaped stamp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom