Please help beautify my photo!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, so I took some pictures of the two harbor seals that followed me my entire hour long dive but in the pictures there are some annoying spots, I really want to suprise my girlfriend with a big fat framed harbor seal head to enjoy but I need to clean the pictures up and I'm not very good with the photo editing software, can anyone help?! Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• Otter Cove 040.jpg
    Otter Cove 040.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 72
  • Otter Cove 041.jpg
    Otter Cove 041.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Otter Cove 048.jpg
    Otter Cove 048.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Otter Cove 049.jpg
    Otter Cove 049.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 58
I took a quick pass at the third one. Unfortunately I may've cut off part of his head, it was hard to differentiate between it and the background.

And I'm totally guessing on skin color and tone.

Lot's of backscatter ("annoying spots"), too much to clone out. So my solution was to replace it with a sold background.

If you did a rectangular crop starting just outside his left flipper, it might make an interesting image framed in landscape orientation. IOW lose some of the black on both the top and left.

I'm not sure that your image would print very large though, it's kind of blurry. Here's a size reduced sample.

lmk what you think of it before I do any more work on the larger one. I'll check back here in a day or two.

Can't really help you on the backscatter ... but I checked the properties of your pictures !!!

If you want a good digital print of any pictures, you pic. has to be at a minimum of 100 dpi. For a top digital quality, 300 dpi.

Roughly, for a very good 11X14 digital print, your file should be around 30MB, and DO NOT compress into jpeg if you go to a good lab. Instead, use TIFF files ...

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your shot at the picture, I do think it is much better. Would you mind sending me the picture? I'll PM you my e-mail. I have Picasa 2 and can't figure out how to put in solid backgrounds or clean up backscatter, any tips? Thanks again!

Here's the best I could do mostly using the clone tool before darkening slightly, increasing contrast a bit, auto color and magnetic lasso to isolate the eye and auto level it. This is 800X600 but if you want the full size, I can try to e-mail it.

OtterCove048pssm.jpg

Roughly, for a very good 11X14 digital print, your file should be around 30MB, and DO NOT compress into jpeg if you go to a good lab. Instead, use TIFF files ...
Ummm, this isn't the absolute. I never save to TIFF and my pro labs only wants jpegs. None of the files I've sent to them have been more than about 3-6MB and they've come up spot on. Converting to jpeg is the last step...all editing is done on the RAW (LR) and PSD (PSCS3)

Talk to your individual print lab as each requires something different in file size and type.

To make sure you have the best information in your photo possible, always shoot in the highest quality your camera offers. If that's RAW format even better, but if you are shooting jpegs, make sure it's the best possible in camera.

Here's another one.

OtterCove040pssm.jpg

My quick rendition. Pretty much just creating a layer in photoshop, painting a black background and then setting to overlay and adjusting the opacity. These are always tough and you can do some things with levels but ultimately you end up losing detail when you get rid of the backscatter and particulate.

Attachments

• seal levels adusted copy.jpg
    seal levels adusted copy.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 64
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom