please give me gear recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehoffman

New
Reaction score
hey everyone,

i used to post here and have since gotten back in the habit. i was wondering if u would all be so kind as to give me your opinions on a list of possible gear purchases:
btw, i dive seldomly but when i do i hit it hard (meaning liveaboards, 3-4 dives a day), i dive in tropical to temperate waters (im going to the red sea this summer) and am not sure exactly where my diving will take me so im trying to gear up for a variety of possibilities. anyways, here goes:

regulators:
scubapro MK25/S550
Oceanic Delta 4
Oceanice Alpha 8 Sport (w/balanced first stage)
Oceanic Alpha 8
Mares MR12 Rebel

BCD:
Scubapro Glide Plus
Scubapro Classic Plus
Oceanic Isla
Oceanic Flex
Oceanic Oceanpro

Fins:
Scubapro twin jet adjustable strap fins
(I already have a pair of aqualung caravelle full foot fins but want a pair of adjustable strap for harsher conditions)

Thanks! Em

ehoffman:
hey everyone,

i used to post here and have since gotten back in the habit. i was wondering if u would all be so kind as to give me your opinions on a list of possible gear purchases:
btw, i dive seldomly but when i do i hit it hard (meaning liveaboards, 3-4 dives a day), i dive in tropical to temperate waters (im going to the red sea this summer) and am not sure exactly where my diving will take me so im trying to gear up for a variety of possibilities. anyways, here goes:

regulators:
scubapro MK25/S550
Oceanic Delta 4
Oceanic Alpha 8
Mares MR12 Rebel

BCD:
Scubapro Glide Plus
Scubapro Classic Plus
Oceanic Isla
Oceanic Flex
Oceanic Oceanpro

Fins:
(I already have a pair of aqualung caravelle full foot fins but want a pair of adjustable strap for harsher conditions)

Thanks! Em

Welcome to the board!

I dive with a Zeagle Brigade BCD and Atomics split-fins, so I probably can't comment on the BCDs and fins on your list. However, I have a Mares MR12 Proton (sorry, not Rebel) which breathes great and I've no complaints about.

In general, you can't really go wrong with Scubapro products although they tend to be bit more pricey. You might also want to consider the ease of repairing your gear at your diving destination if the need arises - Scubapro and Mares are the more popular brands in SE Asia, and you should be able to find an authorised dealer farily easily if you ever dive in this region.

This prob ain't much help, but just my $0.02 worth.

ehoffman:
hey everyone,

regulators:
scubapro MK25/S550
Oceanic Delta 4
Oceanic Alpha 8
Mares MR12 Rebel

BCD:
Scubapro Glide Plus
Scubapro Classic Plus
Oceanic Isla
Oceanic Flex
Oceanic Oceanpro

Fins:

Thanks! Em

Any other choices?

Scuba Pro rocks man. Go with Scuba Pro..........Keep in mind I'm a novice diver but all my gear is Scuba Pro.....and I love it......

I also dive almost all SP gear and I love it!
My reg is the MK25/S600 and I couldn't be happier with it. Delivers all of the air that you could ever need, is very reliable, and has some nice features. Plus SP regs come with a lifetime parts replacement program...you just pay the labor.

For BC's: I dive a Knighthawk and my wife the Ladyhawk. We both love them. A good diving buddy of ours uses the Glide Plus and really likes it. The major difference is I prefer the back inflate...the buddy prefers the jacket style.

Just got my twin fins and LOVE them!

I guess I like Scuba Pro......

Good luck!

Get Scubapro, my gear is old (mk5-109, BCP, seawing fins) and it just will not die.

You're really jumping around with your choices there... You've got some stuff like a Delta IV on the same list as a mr12 rebel... Kind of like being torn between getting the Lexus or the Vega... Just don't know which one I want.:wink:

Also, your different choices vary not only in quality, but features and functionality. Some of the regs have adjustments, some don't. Is that a feature you want? Or want to avoid? Then slim down your list.

On BCs... Jacket? Back inflate? Big and Bulky? Small for travel?? Lot's of lift?? One of the BCs listed is a women's BC, the rest, men's...

I'd hook up with someone that will ask you some questions to figure out what features you want, then figure out which brand gives you the best assortment of features and quality in a budget you are comfortable with. Many times I see people - on this board, or in other dive shops - tell guys to buy this, or buy that... Without ever paying attention to what the diver wants for features.

So with that said, buy a Zeagle Brigade, put on an octo inflator, Delta IV reg, and AI Nitrox computer - and the Apollo splits instead of the scubapro...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom