Please check that SPG!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have noticed follks just breathing on the reg without looking at the gauge a number of times. I always do the breath test while looking. Saved my tail in mexico where a new crew man had only cracked open my tank before a hot drop.

I will add I usually do my own gear set up but this was a very small boat. We took off gear in water and passed it up onto boat and then climbed aboard one at a time. By the time I was on the boat and in my seat my gear had been switched to a new tank. Was my own BCD and regs.

My original point was, and still is; the vast majority of divers do the check, but don't understand it fully, I.e taking a couple of quick shallow breaths and not looking at their spg. I kinda understand, as a new diver they have lots of stuff on their mind, as people become experienced either bad habits or complacancy set in..

I saw this recently hence posting the thread. The AI has too many example of people drowning because they roll in with no air (amongst other things). If this causes one person to catch their tank not on or not fully on, then it's served its purpose

Yes some things bear repeating. Not everyone can reach back and turn their tank on. :duck: I have arthritis in my shoulders so I would have to remove my gear to turn my air on. Better to make sure it is on and working instead.

I by preference do multiple checks besides the one on the boat/shore. One on the surface with my buddy to make sure everyone is ok to descend then another one at the bottom or level off point again check everyone is ready to start the dive.

I've never done a real Hot Drop yet and don't see the likelihood of me diving a site there they are required now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom