Please allow me to introduce myself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helge

Registered
Reaction score
Columbus MS 39701 or Germany (area Frankfurt/Main)
Hi all,

my name is Helge (male :) ) and I`m 40 years old. In some days, after a short trip to Pittsburgh, I`ll arrive Columbus MS. I`ll stay in Columbus for 5 or 6 months and work as site manager in a Steel- & CSP-Plant. I`m from Germany and love scubadiving. I`ve some questions for that :huh: .

Thanks a lot for your invitation to Pelham at 10th Feb ! My plane arrives at 09th and that`s a little bit to early for me; first I`ve to fill up my refrigerator an so on.
First day, when it`s is possible for me, I`ll go to Pelham :) .

Sorry, for my stupid questions:

- are there dive-site`s, that are closer to Columbus then Pelham ?

- where ist the next dive-store ? or good online-store ?
(I´ll only need a tank and weights; my "sport-diving-gear" is shipped)

- where can I fill up my tanks ! Where is Nitrox (Triox/Trimix) available ?

- are there buddies in the columbus area who will dive with me together ?

I like "normal" diving. I`m also a certified IANTD TRIMIX-Diver (DIR-Style) and Rebreather-Diver (Dräger-Dolphin and Ray).

- where are there interessting spots for Trimix or Rebreathers ?

Hope to meet you as soon as possible in Pelham.

Thanks in advance for your support

Hi ya Helge,
I live in Decatur, AL and don't have any dive related info on the Columbus, MS area (even though an aunt and cousins live there), but I'm sure others will. The dive shop I use in Decatur, Dive Sports, has an online store, so check them out. Keep checking the forum here for dive-n-dine events. Welcome to the USA and hope to meet and dive with you before you head back to Germany.

Greetings Helge,

While currently far away, I will be spending the summer decently close to Pelham. I believe that is goign to be about the closest good diving for you from Columbus (I am originally from Memphis, and there isnt much closer than Pelham from there). I, for one, would love to meet up with you and go diving some time this summer. I am currently in school, and actually looking at a minor in German, as well as spending a semester studying abroad over there. Anyways, I hope to meet you soon. Enjoy your stay!

-Matt

Hattiesburg, MS has(had?) a few dive shops before hurricane Katrina, I dunno how they faired through the storm - definately a much closer option for you though.

If you want to dive sites that Trimix will come in handy, you'll need to take a boat dive to some of the deeper sites in the Gulf or maybe some of the FL springs if you are cave certified.

Hi Helge,
I'm afraid Columbus isn't exactly the "Diving Mecca of the South" :) Most of the natural water for hundreds of miles in all directions is too muddy to be popular. Pelham's probably the closest... a bit further is Lake Martin, where we go from Montgomery from time to time. Visibility there isn't exactly wonderful, but it's still fun. You're probably going to want to head for the coast - Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Pensacola, where there are a few interesting shore dive sites, and a lot of offshore sites, including the Oriskany - a Trimix diver's delight. You should also plan on visiting some of the North Florida springs, just to see this unusual karst geology that exists in only a couple more places in the world.
We are headed to Vortex Spring the weekend of March 3rd, if you'd like to join us there. If you'd like to get on our email list for our Montgomery shop's events just let me know your email address in a PM and I'll add you.
I believe the closest shop to you (closest I could find) is:
[SIZE=-1]Venture Sports & Outdoors/Ski-N-Scuba[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]618 15th Street East[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tuscaloosa, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]AL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]205-758-3900[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Fax[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] 205-758-0026[/SIZE]

Rick

Hi Helge, if you get down to Jackson, Ms. Deep South Scuba will rent/fill your tanks and they have nitrox. Talk to Walter or Carla. Their phone number is 601-957-DIVE. Their web page is deepsouthscuba.net. Aa for buying over the internet, scubatoys.com is about as good as it gets. Hope this helps.

Rick Murchison:
Hi Helge,
I'm afraid Columbus isn't exactly the "Diving Mecca of the South" :) Most of the natural water for hundreds of miles in all directions is too muddy to be popular. Pelham's probably the closest... a bit further is Lake Martin, where we go from Montgomery from time to time. Visibility there isn't exactly wonderful, but it's still fun. You're probably going to want to head for the coast - Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Pensacola, where there are a few interesting shore dive sites, and a lot of offshore sites, including the Oriskany - a Trimix diver's delight. You should also plan on visiting some of the North Florida springs, just to see this unusual karst geology that exists in only a couple more places in the world.
We are headed to Vortex Spring the weekend of March 3rd, if you'd like to join us there. If you'd like to get on our email list for our Montgomery shop's events just let me know your email address in a PM and I'll add you.
I believe the closest shop to you (closest I could find) is:
[SIZE=-1]Venture Sports & Outdoors/Ski-N-Scuba[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]618 15th Street East[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tuscaloosa, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]AL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]205-758-3900[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Fax[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] 205-758-0026[/SIZE]

Rick

I would like to be added to your shop's email list. I will send PM. Also I would like to join a trip to Lake Martin.

Hi Helge Schatz:10:

wünsche Dir eine wunderschöne Zeit in den Staaten!!

Vielleicht kannst Du hier ja mal Dives in der Profi-Liga absolvieren.....:D

Lovely kisses

Petra

Gruss gott Helga und wilkommen bei Scubaboard von England

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom