PLB - ACR 406 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
N
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello! I just purchased a ACR 406 ResQLink. I registered with NOAA here in the US. Do I need to register in Mexico as well? Not quite sure how international travel works. Any advice most appreciated. Thank you!

My understanding is that every PLB uses the same global 406 MHz frequency and has approvals in multiple countries including Mexico and Canada.... What's really strange is that when I take my boat up to BC, I am technically not allowed to use my Marine VHF radio without going through Canadian licensing / registration hassles. I still use it anyway and have never had any issues..

My understanding is that a PLB is coded to a particular country and that it must be registered in that country. If activated, the signal will be received by local emergency services regardless of where the PLB is coded and they will act on it appropriately. This may involve a phone call to the country/agency where the PLB is registered in an attempt to confirm that activation was not accidental. Rescue should not be delayed significantly.

Hello, I'm looking for a PLB but it's been difficult to find a proper housing... what kind of housing are you using for the ACR?

Hello, I'm looking for a PLB but it's been difficult to find a proper housing... what kind of housing are you using for the ACR?
I have ACR 425 and the Custom Diver's housing. The combo works well.

If I were choosing for right this minute the ACR 435 with RLS upgrade would be my choice with a DRYFOB XL Canister DRYFOB - DRYFOB

Buying for the future, I would go with the new ACR 450 which combines PLB and AIS technology (Saves the need for a separate Nautilus). Downside is it NEEDS (IMO) the specific flotation pouch and there is no off-the shelf housing available for it yet that I am aware of. A repurposed canister light might do the trick or a custom one from one of the canister light companies. I believe the DRYFOB folks are looking into possibilities as well.

A 406 PLB sends a signal to a satellite that forwards it to an earth station that then sends it to the Rescue Coordination Centre for the area you are in also called a search and rescue region of responsibility. Info on the areas can be found at https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/CG-5R/nsarc/IMO Maritime SAR Regions.pdf. Unless you are a long way off shore the distress call would be sent to a Mexican RCC, who could then contact NOAA to get your contact details to get more information on your 0anned trip

In Australia AMSA have a web portal where I can update my trip plans. So if I am on a live aboard in the Maldives I can put in that I in the Maldives diving on Boat xxxxxxx mangaged by company yyyyyy. So if the PLB gets activated the Maldives RCC can contact AMSA and get that info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom