playtime...votes please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Another Hawaii shot. I think they are Multiband Butterflyfish Chaetodon mutlicinctus but I am by no means an expert on Hawaii's fishes! Off Oahu - justleesa might be able to tell you the reef site...I can't remember!

First shot is cropped down and manual adjustments made. Second and third shots are cropped even more - adjusted two different ways.

I am interested to hear what you think of these adjustments & crops...I am just learning the basics, still don't know how to control one part of an image at a time yet! Again, this photo will never make the wall, but it is the only one I have of these guys (for now LOL) and I would like to have a nice, adequate final product. And I am always curious to know if what pleases my eye (not telling til I hear some views, wouldn't want to skew this scientific discussion!) pleases other eyes...

well, call me a water buffalo and spank me with a scarf, but i love the middle one.

the subjects fill the frame, and there is very nice color contrast with the "redder"
hue of the coral on the lower left and the blue of the water on the upper right...

i don't know why, but it just hits the spot

Well.....I'll be the Hippo cause I like the last one. The extra red in the second doesn't look natural to me. Too much color in the corner compared to the rest of the shot. And thanks for not removing all the blue!

I remember you taking the picture...you were soooo patient!
And you're right, that is the correct name. The picture was taken at Kaiser Reef at about 40' AND #3 would be my pick too!

justleesa:
I remember you taking the picture...you were soooo patient!
And you're right, that is the correct name. The picture was taken at Kaiser Reef at about 40' AND #3 would be my pick too!

Thanks! I need to fill in that log book...perhaps tonight over a beer :)

got the new strobe yet??? I am jealous...still no water time for me...

For your log book: BT was 36 Min for me and you were down before me, but also went up before me so I guess we have about the same.....too cold for a beer (had a bit of flash flooding yesterday) here so I'll join ya with Gluehwein....[hot red wine w/ a touch of OJ, cinnamon, anise, bit of sugar (depending on the wine)]....I can almost see the snow back home... :jump013:

As for the strobe, I ordered it for my "Easter Bunny" so it'll be next month before I get it....If it weren't me I'd be jealous too :rofl:

alcina:
Another Hawaii shot. I think they are Multiband Butterflyfish Chaetodon mutlicinctus but I am by no means an expert on Hawaii's fishes! Off Oahu - justleesa might be able to tell you the reef site...I can't remember!

First shot is cropped down and manual adjustments made. Second and third shots are cropped even more - adjusted two different ways.

I am interested to hear what you think of these adjustments & crops...I am just learning the basics, still don't know how to control one part of an image at a time yet! Again, this photo will never make the wall, but it is the only one I have of these guys (for now LOL) and I would like to have a nice, adequate final product. And I am always curious to know if what pleases my eye (not telling til I hear some views, wouldn't want to skew this scientific discussion!) pleases other eyes...

really nice pics, but one complaint:

it feels like you are looking down on them, try and get a little lower next time, i know sometimes you can't but it would make the picture a whole lot better.

clive francis:
it feels like you are looking down on them, try and get a little lower next time, i know sometimes you can't but it would make the picture a whole lot better.

You are too right! But it was a one shot deal and I am pretty pleased with this snap on a camera I hadn't used before...my biggest error with the camera was getting too close! Next time I visit I should have my own camera and hopefully I will have some clue how to use it!

Gilligan - Thanks! It's kinda nifty the way that Oahu and Maui have different names for the same fish LOL

Gilligan:
Pebbled Butterflyfish according to the Hoover Book for Hawaii's fishes.
I checked my book again and both names are listed for the same fish...is Fish ID EVER gonna get easy???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom