Playa snorkeling with children questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Moon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm keen to do everything possible to ensure that my three daughters enjoy their first snorkeling trip to Mexico. Two are young teenagers and one is a pre-teen... We will be there in a few weeks. In the meantime, I plan to outfit them with their basic gear before we go...

Couple of questions:

• Skins/rash guards? Do any of the kids/adults wear skins snorkeling either at the beach or the parks such as Xel-ha? I really don't want them to burn but figure that I'll be facing a battle if they are the only ones in skins.... Thoughts?

• Fears: They are all excellent swimmers but one of them has a fear of open water and especially sharks... I'm hoping that Xel-ha will be a good place for her to get over this fear.... Thoughts?
  • Full Foot Fins or booties? While I'm a big fan of booties and strap heel fins, especially my Apollo bio-fins w/SS straps, I'm considering just getting them full foot snorkel fins for this trip as I think they would seriously rebel against walking around in booties unless they are common place... They are not sheepeople but then again, they are young girls and don't like to be embarrassed... Since my goal is for them to really enjoy this trip and create a desire to learn how to dive, I want to eliminate any possible hurdles... Are booties common place around Playa or do kids wear flip flops around the beach and take them off to put on full foot fins for snorkeling?
  • Fat Cat: Besides Xel-ha, I'd like to sign them up for a snorkel boat after they get their feet wet first... Any thoughts on Fat Cat or other suggestions would be appreciated... Also, on Fat Cat, would a skin be appropriate or common place?
  • Sea Lice/Jellies: Any reports that I've missed?
Thanks!

Blue Moon

Blue Moon:
I'm keen to do everything possible to ensure that my three daughters enjoy their first snorkeling trip to Mexico. Two are young teenagers and one is a pre-teen... We will be there in a few weeks. In the meantime, I plan to outfit them with their basic gear before we go...

Couple of questions:

• Skins/rash guards? Do any of the kids/adults wear skins snorkeling either at the beach or the parks such as Xel-ha? I really don't want them to burn but figure that I'll be facing a battle if they are the only ones in skins.... Thoughts?

• Fears: They are all excellent swimmers but one of them has a fear of open water and especially sharks... I'm hoping that Xel-ha will be a good place for her to get over this fear.... Thoughts?
  • Full Foot Fins or booties? While I'm a big fan of booties and strap heel fins, especially my Apollo bio-fins w/SS straps, I'm considering just getting them full foot snorkel fins for this trip as I think they would seriously rebel against walking around in booties unless they are common place... They are not sheepeople but then again, they are young girls and don't like to be embarrassed... Since my goal is for them to really enjoy this trip and create a desire to learn how to dive, I want to eliminate any possible hurdles... Are booties common place around Playa or do kids wear flip flops around the beach and take them off to put on full foot fins for snorkeling?
  • Fat Cat: Besides Xel-ha, I'd like to sign them up for a snorkel boat after they get their feet wet first... Any thoughts on Fat Cat or other suggestions would be appreciated... Also, on Fat Cat, would a skin be appropriate or common place?
  • Sea Lice/Jellies: Any reports that I've missed?
Thanks!

Blue Moon

I'll try to help.

Many kids love wearing swim shirts, they are very trendy and protect from the sun. As for a rash guard or skin, I don't think it's needed, practice safe snorkeling and watch where you snorkel, never go over the coral - always around. Explain to the kids how the swell can lift them up and then deposit them on top of the coral.

Please tell your kids that most sea life is afraid of humans, including sharks. Also, tell them that there is nothing to worry about, we just never see sharks snorkeling. We'll honestly, I have seen nurse sharks (giant cat fish) while snorkeling.

I am also a big fan of booties and open heel fins, but for kids go with the full foot pocket or look at the USD snorkel fins that have an open heel but don't require a bootie. I have been using these fins for my snorkel tours and everyone loves them, they are very comfortable. Most everyone, kids and adults wear flip flops and then full foot fins while on the beach and snorkeling.

I love the fat cat, the odd topless girl and all you can drink.... (I also sell fat cat,so I don't like to turn away a commision) but I don't know if I would bring my 9 year old daughter on board, even though it is sold as a family activity. 99% of non divers don't wear a skin or wetsuit while snorkeling in the ocean, it's around 85 degrees right now.

We had sea lice around a month ago and I haven't seen it since. It was early this year but I wouldn't say we won't see it again.

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
I'll try to help.

Many kids love wearing swim shirts, they are very trendy and protect from the sun. As for a rash guard or skin, I don't think it's needed, practice safe snorkeling and watch where you snorkel, never go over the coral - always around. Explain to the kids how the swell can lift them up and then deposit them on top of the coral.

Please tell your kids that most sea life is afraid of humans, including sharks. Also, tell them that there is nothing to worry about, we just never see sharks snorkeling. We'll honestly, I have seen nurse sharks (giant cat fish) while snorkeling.

I am also a big fan of booties and open heel fins, but for kids go with the full foot pocket or look at the USD snorkel fins that have an open heel but don't require a bootie. I have been using these fins for my snorkel tours and everyone loves them, they are very comfortable. Most everyone, kids and adults wear flip flops and then full foot fins while on the beach and snorkeling.

I love the fat cat, the odd topless girl and all you can drink.... (I also sell fat cat,so I don't like to turn away a commision) but I don't know if I would bring my 9 year old daughter on board, even though it is sold as a family activity. 99% of non divers don't wear a skin or wetsuit while snorkeling in the ocean, it's around 85 degrees right now.

We had sea lice around a month ago and I haven't seen it since. It was early this year but I wouldn't say we won't see it again.

Dennis

Dennis,

I very much appreciate your response. Please keep an eye out for a PM regarding our upcoming trip. Again, many thanks!

Blue Moon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom