Playa del Carmen Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solasassn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Girlfriend and I took a quick 5 day dive trip down to Playa del Carmen from 12/12 - 12/16 (I know, its been a few weeks already, but better late than never). It was our first time down there. Despite reading a ton of great things about diving with Jason from Fantasea on these boards, we decided to do a 3-day package with Klaus from Scuba Playa, purely based on price.

We could not have been happier. Scuba Playa is about the furthest thing from a cattle-car operator as you can get. For all of our dives, it was only me, my girlfriend, and Klaus (except when his girlfriend came along with us to the cenotes). Klaus was a great guide, and an excellent underwater photographer. We had a camera with us, but being relative beginners in underwater photography, it was nice to have his professional quality shots as well.

We did one day in Playa, including a Bull Shark dive, one day at Dos Ojos cenote, and one day in Cozumel. Each one was excellent in its own way. I can't imagine going anywhere else with that kind of diversity and quality in dive sites.

Needless to say, it was an awesome trip. I would recommend Klaus to anyone diving in Playa, and I'm counting down the days until I accrue enough vacation to make it back down there myself.

We stayed at Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda, one of the all inclusives a little north of PDC. It was very nice, but I think next time it would make more sense to find a hotel in Playa proper. Travelling back and forth was a little expensive and we weren't able to take full advantage of the hotel being out and about all day.

We stayed at Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda, one of the all inclusives a little north of PDC. It was very nice, but I think next time it would make more sense to find a hotel in Playa proper. Travelling back and forth was a little expensive and we weren't able to take full advantage of the hotel being out and about all day.

We decided that staying in PDC proper made a lot more since than at an AI and taking a taxi. We like Hotel Lunata, Aqualuna, Playa Maya, and Riviera Caribe Maya for places to stay. All different and each with its benefits.

The really great thing about staying in Playa is eating local. El Fogon and HC Monterey are excellent. Pizza Pazza is very good and El Oasis shrimp tacos are some of the reasons we return to PDC.

I will put in a second vote for El Fogon...great food at a great price! We will try your other recommendations when we are there in a week!

Sorry to be a little vague, but I don't remember the specifics. We ate lunch at a place just around the corner from Playa Scuba that was a cheap, sit down restaurant with really good authentic Mexican food. Playa Scuba is on Avenida 15 and Calle 4. So, I'm thinking this place was on Calle 3 between Avenida 14 and 15, on the north side of the block.

The other place is even more vague, but had some of the best/cheapest ceviche I've ever had. I can only describe the location for you though. Its a fish/shrimp taco and ceviche restaurant on the main highway between Dos Ojos Cenote and Tulum. More specifically, I think it was between the Tulum ruins and the Tulum town. It was on the southbound side of the street. Covered outdoor seating. There was a salsa bar in the middle of the restaurant.

Hope its helpful. I'll try to get restaurant names and/or addresses.

I will put in a second vote for El Fogon...great food at a great price! We will try your other recommendations when we are there in a week!

If you know where the Mega is, HC and El Fogon have locations right across the street. Get the arracherra national at HC, excellent! The pizza at Pizza Pazza is as good as any we have had in Italy.

Its a fish/shrimp taco and ceviche restaurant on the main highway between Dos Ojos Cenote and Tulum. More specifically, I think it was between the Tulum ruins and the Tulum town. It was on the southbound side of the street.

Did Klaus stop for his fish tacos on the way to the cenotes in the morning? He did with my son and I last May. Somehow, fish tacos at 9AM purchased from a roadside stand just didn't appeal to me. The diving was great however, both Gran Cenote and Calaveras. Klaus and his partner Luis are great guys.

Did Klaus stop for his fish tacos on the way to the cenotes in the morning? He did with my son and I last May. Somehow, fish tacos at 9AM purchased from a roadside stand just didn't appeal to me.

Haha. He actually took us on the way back from Dos Ojos cenote, so the timing was a little better. Given how good the ceviche and tacos were though, I would have gladly eaten them at 9AM as well. Klaus does know his food though. All his recommendations were right on point.

Back
Top Bottom