Playa Del Carmen Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatrax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What a great week. Incredible hotel and my first blue water dives.

I scheduled my dives with Jason at Fantaseadive and when he says he is at Calle 2 and the beach, he is not joking. The road ends at the beach, look left and there is the shop.

Jason arrived right on time, I was there early(very excited). We talked for a few minutes and he told me he had some severe sinus issues (couldn't equalize) and could not make the dives but that he had arranged for another instructer to take me. Talking about going over and above, I was impressed. Luis from Playa Scuba was my new dive leader and an equally great guy. He is the Cavern Instructor for Playa Scuba and an excellent diver.

They get the boat ready and we head out. I was the only diver going out that day and I must say, kinda nice having a private dive charter and your own personal Dive Master for your first ocean dives.

On the way, Luis asks if I just want to see the turtles at Tortuga Reef or check those out for a while then swim with the current to check out the Tarpon school a ways away, Ok course, I opt for both. Gear up, buddy check and back roll into the blue. AWESOME! We start our decent down to 60f and come down right beside a large sea turtle. Spectacular! Luis points out Parrot fish, Jelly fish the size of a fingernail and so many other species, I can't remember them all. We then head out with the current and get to second reef for the Tarpon. Very cool.

Luis deploys the SMB and after the safety stop, we surface and the boat is right there. Alberto the Captain must be watching pretty close because we covered a pretty good distance.

Second dive was Barracuda Reef and my Peak Performance Buoyancy dive. Current was much milder here. Luis tells my what he wants to see and how to do it. 1 foot horizontal hover above the sea floor and then an inverted hover with my head 1 foot above the floor using just my lungs. Too much fun! He then adds 4lbs of weight has has me recover from that and repeat the hovering. He signals enough training and we head over to the reef. This was the aquaruim dive. Lots of color, schools of fish and more turtles. FANTASTIC!

Thanks to Jason and Luis for an awesome time and I will be back soon!

thanks for sharing. glad you had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom