Playa del Carmen or Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DB83

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Mexico. We're currently planning it to Cozumel, but I read some stuff on Playa del Carmen today and am wondering which is better for diving. I know that they are very close, but I would like to find a hotel where the better diving is, and probably take the ferry to the other.

Please post your opinions on which is better for diving.

I've dove Playa a couple of times and did not like it nearly as well as Cozumel. Guess I'm prejudice since I've been to Cozumel 14 times and just bought a house there.

Diversity of reefs.
Flat
Shallow
Deep
Walls
Caves
Swim throughs
Eagle rays
Turtles
Very advanced to beginner sites.
Big sponges and corals
And yes a big wreck
Plenty of places to eat and the people are very friendlly
Lots of shopping and virtually no crime.

Take the ferry over to Playa and make a day trip.

The reefs off PDC are not very impressive. They can't hold a candle to Coz. However, if you like cenote diving, then PDC is the place.

My $ .02 Barracuda2

No doubt, Cozumel is better...BUT...Playa is close to Cenotes, diving near Akumal is really good, its not crowded diving, dives are 50 - 70 feet, and there isn't much current. If you have "other reasons" to go to Playa, its worth it. The ferry ride either way is no biggie.
I like the Playa side better overall for beaches, activities, hotels, ruins, and general vacation niceties, but as divers, we go to Cozumel nowdays.

Jim Baldwin:
I've dove Playa a couple of times and did not like it nearly as well as Cozumel. Guess I'm prejudice since I've been to Cozumel 14 times and just bought a house there.

Diversity of reefs.
Flat
Shallow
Deep
Walls
Caves
Swim throughs
Eagle rays
Turtles
Very advanced to beginner sites.
Big sponges and corals
And yes a big wreck
Plenty of places to eat and the people are very friendlly
Lots of shopping and virtually no crime.

Take the ferry over to Playa and make a day trip.

......this says it all.

Dave

Divedoggie:
No doubt, Cozumel is better...BUT...Playa is close to Cenotes, diving near Akumal is really good, its not crowded diving, dives are 50 - 70 feet, and there isn't much current. If you have "other reasons" to go to Playa, its worth it. The ferry ride either way is no biggie.
I like the Playa side better overall for beaches, activities, hotels, ruins, and general vacation niceties, but as divers, we go to Cozumel nowdays.

It was a lot of fun, pretty good diving, but you got to go to Cozumel to understand how great the diving is there. Akumal's reefs are in better shape, but Coz.'s has soo many different types of diving you will have a blast.

Do Playa (yawn) or Akumal at a later date.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom