Playa Del Carmen Dive Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainNemo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This Friday myself and five others are heading to Playa Del Carmen for a week to get in some diving. Four of us are experienced long time divers and have dove Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. I have searched several dive shops on the web. They all claim to be the oldest, the best, etc. Can anyone give me pros and cons, opinions, etc. as to the better operators and sites. We would also like to dive the Centotes. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I dove with Go Cenotes in January. I was really impressed and had a couple of wonderful dives with them at Dos Ojos.

CaptainNemo:
This Friday myself and five others are heading to Playa Del Carmen for a week to get in some diving. Four of us are experienced long time divers and have dove Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. I have searched several dive shops on the web. They all claim to be the oldest, the best, etc. Can anyone give me pros and cons, opinions, etc. as to the better operators and sites. We would also like to dive the Centotes. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you want the best..........go with ProTec. They are located in Mom's Hotel. All have world class credentials. I did my cave course with them, and returned the following year and dove with them. Top notch service.

I recommend the dos ojos main shop. There is a shop run by americans, not that it makes any difference. The main reason i recommend them is that I got back into diving in November 2004 with a refresher coarse from them, after being certified in May 1987. I only had my certification dives between 1987 and 2004, primarily kept out of diving due to budgetary issues.

I was pleaseantly satisfied with their no hassle, to the point, safety first attitude along with a fairly comprehensive refresher coarse for open water and the overhead environments. I also got in a two tank dive and a wonderful experience through the Dos Ojos cenote.

The shop has makeshift truck transportation on the property, so you will not have to walk the couple mile hike from the shop to the cenote. You will, however, have to climb down about 20 to 30 feet of steep steps to get to and from a deck where you ultimately set up you gear and get in the water.

You could save on money by taking a bus there, and save more on getting picked up by one of the many white passenger vans that run along the coast to and from Playa del Carmen. I ended up taking the greyhound style autobus from playe del carmen, and got dropped off a few blocks north of dos ojos, due to the bus company not having a clear understanding of the town or destination near dos ojos. But the walk was not that bad. On the way back, I got picked up by a passing white passenger van for about 20 pesos ($2).

Whatever shop you plan to dive with, I am sure you will have a good time. I am not sure if you pay more with a shop that is based out of Plays Del Carmen or if you deal directly with the on site shop at the cenotes?

Have fun!!

yes dos ojos dive shop is at the entrence of dos ojos very good guys there i dove with them on oct. 2004 had a good exprence with them

Anyone have post Wilma experience with the cenotes? What is the cave visibility like right now?

ProTec is awesome. Really friendly people, top notch gear and skills, and very knowledgeable about all the dive sites. I'm trying to set up some diving with them in a few weeks.

Here's a link:

http://www.protecdiving.com/

RiotNrrd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom