Playa Corona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simcoediver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read here somewhere that Playa Corona has an excellent shore dive, Is Playa Corona a park you have to pay to get in and is there night diving permitted?

I had heard it was good for snorkeling and tried it last year and was not real impressed. Since then I have talked to others about it and Sky Reef and heard the same for snorkeling. If you try a shore dive out past the bouy's be extremely careful of boat traffic. This is an area the boats go flat out as they near marina approaches. I would not surface in that area even with a marker bouy.
It is within the marine park but I doubt anyone would hassle you over a band or guide.

PS Blue Angel has a pretty good shore / night dive and they will rent you a tank. Seems counter intuitive but the boat traffic is not as bad as just south of the marina.

Last edited:
I read here somewhere that Playa Corona has an excellent shore dive, Is Playa Corona a park you have to pay to get in and is there night diving permitted?
Playa Corona is a little beach club just a bit south of Chankanaab. There isn't an entry fee, but you may be encouraged to patronize the club when you go there. It closes before sunset, so no night diving. I have only snorkeled there, so I don't know what the shore dive is like.

Playa Corona is a little beach club just a bit south of Chankanaab. There isn't an entry fee, but you may be encouraged to patronize the club when you go there. It closes before sunset, so no night diving. I have only snorkeled there, so I don't know what the shore dive is like.

Or you could just dive from the beach instead of the beach club. I have only dove there once. Didn't find a lot but will go back. Along the shore are caves going under the island that are interesting to look into, but not for me to go into.

no, you don't have to pay to go to Playa Corona. It's one of our favorite hang outs, good food, good service, decent snorkeling. If I ever hit that lottery, I'm going to buy into the place and rebuild the pier, so divers can stop there for SI's again.

I've never done it, but supposedly there is a nice little reef just off shore there and a DM that will take you out to it. Not sure if you need to check in with him the day before and set it up or not.

We would not need a DM to take us out, we are not beginner divers! Can I refuse the need for a DM? and just rent a tank? we would be staying for a drink and eats afterwards in order to be good customers.

I don't believe Playa Corona has tanks for rent. You would need to find lead and get tanks from Meridiano or a dive operation.

Pretty little dive, colorful. Bring your own tanks from town by taxi. Maybe tip the staff so they like us divers coming through there. I'll second the caution about boat traffic further out from the snorkeling area and recommend not being under them.

No 'official' night diving possible.

Enjoy,
Cameron

I don't believe Playa Corona has tanks for rent. You would need to find lead and get tanks from Meridiano or a dive operation.
yeah, I think that is why you have to set it up in advance.

you would have to talk to the DM on site about that, it IS within the Marine Park, so you may have to have a DM because of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom