Plastic coated steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ew1usnr once bubbled...
Oh, wow. You guys passed up the opportunity to pack 300 cubic feet on your backs. It looks like they would start out at over 21-pounds negative.

http://www.fillexpress.com/library/pstcylinders.shtml
I could not imagine lugging those huge things around much less beach dive in them......no way. The 100's are my limit for beach diving and even thats too much. Before the 72's were my limit :D

lal7176 once bubbled...
I could not imagine lugging those huge things around much less beach dive in them......no way. The 100's are my limit for beach diving and even thats too much. Before the 72's were my limit :D

I think that it was Dirty Harry who said "A man's gotta know his limits".

Is that 149 the biggest scuba tank on the market?

My HP100 doubles, full, weigh in at just over 90lbs according to my shipping scale. That's with a Sea Elite manifold, bands and of course the bolt kit.

The 72s weigh about 30lbs each empty (bare, no valve). Two of them are 60lbs, bands and manifold are another 5 or so, which is 65. You have roughly 10lbs of gas in the doubled 72s @ 13cf per lb, assuming Nitrox (that figure is 15 in the double HP100s)

That should bring you to 75lbs with them full and ready to dive.

These numbers "check" - the HP100s have 15lbs of gas in them, which makes their "empty" weight 75lbs. Each tank claims to be 32lbs each empty, but I suspect that's not quite right. 9lbs for bands and manifold? I don't think so; I've got a set of bands right here and my postal scale shows them as almost exactly 3.5lbs with the bolt kit.

I KNOW the full weight of the Double HP100s is right, because I've measured it..... my guess is that the PST HP100s are in fact ~35lbs empty, which gives you 75lbs empty w/bands and manifold + 15lbs for gas for the set.

15lbs is a lot, especially when the double 72s should require about 4lbs LESS lead than the double HP100s (assuming the buoyancy numbers I've seen on the 72s are right.) That's a nearly 20lb difference in the total mass of the kit you're hauling around on land - not insignificant at all.

You're right. Beauchat/Heiser makes a steel 190 tank. ONE of them is negative 62 pounds full. With a set of doubles, you would have to wear TWO 100-lb wings just to get neutral. And it has a 4400 psi working pressure. Imagine getting that one filled at your local dive shop. Wow!

http://www.sportdiverhq.com/tkcht.htm

Imagine carrying a couple of those on a dive boat. You could look around in disdain and say to people "You call that a tank?".

15lbs is a lot, especially when the double 72s should require about 4lbs LESS lead than the double HP100s (assuming the buoyancy numbers I've seen on the 72s are right.) That's a nearly 20lb difference in the total mass of the kit you're hauling around on land - not insignificant at all.
Tell me about it. Although i can still easily carry the 100's while beach diving i can definitely tell a difference compared to the 72's.

You're right. Beauchat/Heiser makes a steel 190 tank. ONE of them is negative 62 pounds full. With a set of doubles, you would have to wear TWO 100-lb wings just to get neutral. And it has a 4400 psi working pressure. Imagine getting that one filled at your local dive shop. Wow!
I wonder what the heck those were designed for and if people actually use them for diving.

Some guys tried to talk me into LP104s/E8-130s. Good lord, am I glad I didn't take THAT advice! Fortunately I picked up a pair in the shop (full) BEFORE deciding - and said "you're kidding, right?"

I e-mailed ZRC and here is there reply, enjoy.
Captain

Thank you for your interest in ZRC’s cold galvanizing compounds – the brand recognized by Underwriters Laboratories as the equivalent protection against rust & rust creepage as hot dip galvanizing and manufactured by us under the strict standards of our ISO-9001 certification to assure the highest quality consistently.

Although ZRC (medium gray, flat finish) and GALVILITE (the ZRC in the light gray, shiny finish designed to blend in with hot-dip galvanizing) are available in quarts, most distributors stock only the gallons and aerosols because they cater to large manufacturers and construction companies. You can try Dibbie Dye, the New Orleans Rep for DRAGO SUPPLY, on her Cell Tel: (504) 616-4887. Her office number is (225) 673-6403.

Or you can order factory-direct. I have attached our Price List for your convenience. Our products are non-hazardous for ground transportation, so we can ship them by regular UPS Ground as well as common carrier. And there is no minimum order for MasterCard, Visa, or American Express.

Please get back to me with any questions you may have about our products, specific applications, or ordering.

Lorraine DeWald

ZRC WORLDWIDE

E-mail: info@zrcworldwide.com

Tel: 1 (800) 831-3275

captain once bubbled...
Or you can order factory-direct. I have attached our Price List for your convenience. Our products are non-hazardous for ground transportation, so we can ship them by regular UPS Ground as well as common carrier.

How much for a quart plus shipping?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom