Plasmapheresis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a 49 year old female and was diagnosed with transverse myelitis about a month ago. I am on prednisone 60mg, weaning down over a month and do plasmapheresis twice a week. I am a very experienced diver and would like to do a 30m dive in two weeks. I am almost fully back to myself with about 80% function in my hand and some numbness from the hip down on the right. Any scuba doctors out there to know if there is a problem with diving (nitrox).
Thanks

Hello, and thank you for posting your question.

You still have residual neurological symptoms, which indicates that inflammation is still present. The fact that you are undergoing plasmapheresis may indicate that your physician did not think your symptoms were improving quickly enough, or that he/she suspects an autoimmune component. In either case you should not dive while you still have symptoms and are actively undergoing therapy. You need to involve your treating physician in this discussion. I also strongly recommend that you be evaluated in person by a physician trained in examining and treating divers before you return to diving.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom