Plantar Fasciitis 102: Do's and Don'ts Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had every procedure known to man - sometimes twice - on both feet and the only thing that worked was release surgery. I thought I'd have to give up diving b/c of the pain the next morning. As others have said, stretching before you get up is critical. Here are some other points of experience I can share.

1. Flip flops are not the devil. Those with adequate arch support are actually your friend. In fact, Chaco flip flops are the only shoes I could wear before surgery and during the healing process once I came out of the aircast. The stiff sole is exactly what your aching arch is begging for.
2. Dive boots with arch support are a must. The flimsy little booties that are little more than a neoprene Chuck Taylor and you can't wear them and get away with it. I tried every boot I could find and read about Seasoft Sunrays online. They're designed to use the large muscles in your legs to power your kick, not the small ones that aren't used as often and cause your arch to ache. Can't imagine diving with anything else.
3. Split fins made a difference. My first fins were Mares Quattro Pro and the resistance in the water contributed to the pain I experienced. Switched to Atomic split fins and immediately saw a difference! Oh, I also got the brilliant idea to get a pair of full-foot fins and paid for that mistake for a good two weeks after that trip.
4. Careful on the ladder. The ladder can be another source of pain. Try to step on each rung with the ball of your foot, not the arch. Hang on tightly in case you slip but you'll find that while this prevents you putting added stress on the arch, it also gives it a nice gentle stretch as you climb the ladder.
5. Never go barefoot. EVER. This is the worst thing you can do - wear Chacos or Crocs or whatever works for you, but avoid having your bare foot on the boat deck, tile or wood floors, sidewalks, etc. Baby that arch and give it the support it needs or it will get its revenge.
6. No cheap shoes. Now that I've got my feet back in good shape, I have vowed to never, ever, ever subject them to cheap, poorly made shoes. While you can't use price as a determinant ALL the time, the less expensive they are, generally, the more poorly made they are.

Good luck to you - I hope this helps you! PF is one of the most miserable things I've ever suffered through and you have my full empathy but know that you don't have to suffer while diving!!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom