Planning Sidemount Training Trip to Mexico (ProTech)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rddvet,
Thanks, that's some great insight and definitely helps a lot. Tulum sounds like PDC from 20 years ago, which I remember fondly. Also, just curious, but did you train with your own side-mount kit, or use one from Protec? I'm torn between buying my kit beforehand so I can get used to it down there, and possibly finding out during training that I should have bought a different one...vs waiting and having nobody to help me adjust it properly post-training. o_O

I didn't train with Protec. I've done guided dives and used them as my dive shop while cave diving. My training in MX has been with an instructor that moved out on his own that I met while he was at Protec.
I assume you're using a Stealth, so buy it there or buy it ahead of time is fine. Your instructor will likely fit it for you in a matter of minutes. You shouldn't need to do any adjusting after class unless you move to a different tank than 80s. When you set up your course, all of this will be answered way before arrival.

I dove the xdeep classic prior to going, but it was not set up the way they train, so it took me a bit to get straightened out.

Just start they way they dive it, you’ll end up ahead in the long run. And have to fiddle with your gear less. You can dive your own, as long as the setup and routing is correct.

I dove the xdeep classic prior to going, but it was not set up the way they train, so it took me a bit to get straightened out.

Just start they way they dive it, you’ll end up ahead in the long run. And have to fiddle with your gear less. You can dive your own, as long as the setup and routing is correct.

Sounds like good advice. I know there are a bunch of rigs out there, some better than others depending on the use case, but I'm thinking a Stealth will meet my warm water needs.

The stealth does me right in warm and cold water. Once you get it dialed in, it’s a joy to dive. Invest in some sliding drings for the lower bolt snaps and you’ll be ahead of the game.

Any particular reason you would choose them over ProTec?

I cannot compare as I never used ProTec more than just to fill my cylinders, which I dropped there after dives and got them delivered to Underworld in the morning. I had an impression that ProTec is a big business with a good reputation and with a kinda industrial touch. At Underworld everything - the mood, the ambience - was cozy and relaxed. Actually it is a hotel for divers. You stay there in a nice room, everything is at hand - facilities for rinsing and drying your stuff, lockers, workshop, gear rental, patio bar, barbecue and pool. If you are looking for a cheaper acommodation, some nice hotels are right across the street or next block. The owners Lanny and Claire are exeptionally friendly and helpful, and they do some charity with stray dogs, too. Yet, they host the annual Cave Camp, which brings together some of the top cave instructors and divers on the planet. So it is a respected dive center. BTW, Tulum has an impressive historical site of Mayan culture - ruins, etc, not les impressive than Chichen Itza. And cenotes are really close.

You aren’t going to go wrong with either location. The new digs atop the Tulum ship may be a good choice in terms of convenience. Next to the Playa shop is Mom’s, which is also nice, and being situated in Playa is very convenient. Tulum can still be quite spartan depending on where you shack up.

As far as instructors are concerned, you can’t go wrong with any of them, however they all have their own personalities. That can certainly affect your training though, even if the coverage from them is all the same.

Patrick essentially created the Stealth for Mexico style sidemount exploration, so it’s his bread and butter. As far as the system is concerned, he’s the source. All of the Protec instructors teach his method of employment as far as it’s concerned.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in; it's great to hear about all the different experiences and suggestions. I do have one question I should have asked earlier: how much would you expect to pay per class or per day from a serious tech dive outfit? I know it's generally held that you get what you pay for, but I don't have much of a baseline to work from.

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in; it's great to hear about all the different experiences and suggestions. I do have one question I should have asked earlier: how much would you expect to pay per class or per day from a serious tech dive outfit? I know it's generally held that you get what you pay for, but I don't have much of a baseline to work from.

I think the going rate in Mexico is about $250 to $300 / day.

Back
Top Bottom