Planning our Southern Carribean dive cruise...looking for advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So we are sailing the Southern Carribean aboard the Carnival Valor in August. I have researched quite a bit and here is where we are at so far.... any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

My criteria are :
Safe and reliable operator with good reviews for diving (Not interested in going with snorkelers)
Representative dive sites for the area being visited
Pickup at cruise terminal
refundable fare if cruise ship does not make port

St Thomas....Blue Island Divers or Admirality Divers

Barbados....EcoDive Barbados or The Dive Shop

St. Lucia...Iyanola Dive Ventures (Carnival ship excursion but they visit the Pitons) Wanted to use Scuba Steve but they have a full fee even if your ship does not make port.

St. Kitts....Pro-Divers or Dive St. Kitts

St. Marteen....Carribean Dive College (Carnival Ship Excursion) Had to be sure we finished our dives early due to a 12:35 flight the next days...the Carnival excursion gave us the best chance of doing that.

So this is our plan so far. We are divers who cruise to dive so I try hard to find excellent operators for our dives. But I couldn't do that without input from my fellow travelers. So I am Looking forward to your replies.

I would skip diving in St. Martin. I used to live there and dove it numerous times, wasn't as impressed as say, St. Lucia. Also, I would try Red Hook Dive Center in St. Thomas. It's further from the cruise ships, but it's one of the longest running and reputable dive shops on island, for a good reason.

I would skip diving in St. Martin. I used to live there and dove it numerous times, wasn't as impressed as say, St. Lucia. Also, I would try Red Hook Dive Center in St. Thomas. It's further from the cruise ships, but it's one of the longest running and reputable dive shops on island, for a good reason.

Thanks for the info. Since our local diving consists of a muddy lake....we'll probably still dive St. Marteen but at least I have been forewarned. :wink:

Thanks for the info. Since our local diving consists of a muddy lake....we'll probably still dive St. Marteen but at least I have been forewarned. :wink:

I agree with the skip St Maarten!

I am doing this exact cruise in June. We have done a bunch of cruises, but first Diving Exclusive Cruise. Any update on who you ended up diving with at these ports and would you dive with them again?

Also, Thoughts on bringing our own gear, (minus tanks/weights) vs renting? Is it worth saving the money? Or more of a pain to drag it around. We usually rent all but mask/snorkel, but have only dove at 1 of the ports, and enjoyed the towns and beaches at rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ended up having a great trip...

St Thomas....Blue Island Divers - fun group of guys, easy to organize with and seemless pickup, great dives...60 min dives

Barbados....EcoDive Barbados - AWESOME!!!! 60 min dives small boat but VERY WELL organized and also super easy to organize with. Andrew is just a spectacular dive master and wonderful photo skills as well!!

St. Lucia...Iyanola Dive Ventures (Carnival ship excursion but they visit the Pitons) They were great and with only 4 of us in our dive group it was an outstanding day..60 min dives. I think this was my favorite set of dives the whole trip!!

St. Kitts....Kenneth's Dive Center...they were super nice, great dives and right close to the cruise terminal for pickup...60 min dives. Great set of dives

St. Marteen....Carribean Dive College (Carnival Ship Excursion) Had to be sure we finished our dives early due to a 12:35 flight the next days...the Carnival excursion gave us the best chance of doing that.
They were nice enough folks with a large boat. But was not a great set of dives. Very hurried, very short bottom times compared to previous ports and even though we expected a bit of that...40 mins with plenty of bottom time and air still available was just not quite right for the price these dives cost.
Dive masters on the one day we were there just seemed a bit lost. They were about what one would expect for a ship sponsored excursion. Not bad folks but certainly not an outstanding experience.

It was a great trip and for us it was certainly worth the effort to tote our own gear.

Back
Top Bottom