Planning full cave training in Mexico - any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an excellent experience diving with Cenote Xperience out of PDC. I did not pursue full cave as I was and still am, new to tech diving. I completed IANTD Essentials and Cavern.
Another vote for Cenote Xperience. Nico and Martin are great guys and excellent instructors.

Even though I do have experience with doubles/stage setup, I did wreck training where we worked with reels, blind navigation and stuff like that - I will reconsider doing zero-to-hero. I really want all the new experience and skills that the full cave training brings but maybe it should not be rushed.
Sounds like you are already an experienced technical diver with BM doubles, so you'll have an easier time just doing your cave training in that set up.

The amount of time it takes is really dependent on your current skill level. A good cave instructor will work with you to address any possible areas in need of improvement before ever bringing you into the cave zone. But even if you showed up with excellent buoyancy/trim/propulsion skills, 2 weeks is probably not enough time IMO to complete cavern, intro, and full cave. Cavern and intro plus several days of guided dives along the mainlines might be a great way to spend 2 weeks in Mexico.

Have fun!

An option not mentioned is Zero Gravity in Puerto Aventuras (just outside the gate). You can get an Airbnb in Puerto (near or on the beach) and base out of Zero Gravity (or just stay at ZG). You could also stay in Akumal which is about 20 min from Tulum.

Great think about Mx is you can spend 2 weeks there and not see the same cave, and not go below 30'!! Enjoy.

I took my full cave diver training with Mr. Luis Leal in Tulum. My best divimg experience in my 44 years diving.
Better stay in Tulum, much closer to the cenotes and also with beach and night life. If you want Luis's contact details, let me know.

First and foremost I will say that Brian Kakuk is one of the most liked and respected cave divers, explorers, and cave instructors in the world. He does teach students what u guys call “zero to hero.”

I highly recommend you talk on the phone or skype (or whatever) with the instructor and see if you guys "gel." Instructors who consider themselves hotshots, who are "social media sensations", and charge almost DOUBLE as other people charge (so they can be Dora the Explorer traveling the world) are a no-no to me. I learned this the hard way.

If you want a recommendation, PM me and I can give you as many details as you want.

Cheers.

I'm doing my cavern/intro to cave/full cave now with Ricardo Castillo of Dive Rite Mexico (he's actually my only choice, since I have an O2ptima CM rebreather) but he's fantastic--excellent diver, very experienced, and very patient and good at explaining things. I've also dived (but not taken classes with) Yucatek and ProTec and had great experiences with them as well, and they do cave training (and Yucatek does it on rebreathers as well, but not the one I have).

As for sidemount vs backmount, when I'm doing caves on open circuit I prefer the sidemount configuration. Because my rebreather is a chestmount, I prefer diving CC with backmounted doubles.

And Taj Maha is a nice place to dive even though it's a training cenote.

First and foremost I will say that Brian Kakuk is one of the most liked and respected cave divers, explorers, and cave instructors in the world. He does teach students what u guys call “zero to hero.”
Brian is in the Bahamas, nowhere near Mexico.

Can teach zero-to-hero and should teach zero-to-hero are completely different things

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom