Planning a trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for you guys that gave me some info. the most helpful was the people that have been somewhere and say to try certain dive places. its more helpful when someone provides info about a dive places that they have had good customer service. in some ways i want to only spend a certain amount but also want to enjoy the trip. I would say about 2000 but i see that some trips are more than 2000. i would prefer a boat dive because you are more likly of finding a buddy. i also understand that i am a new diver so some places is better to wait to go to. thank you again for the info

I disagree with the "new divers should stay close to home" philosophy. In my case - I certified locally and then went to Australia with my 4 dives and all my own equipment under my belt. I did four liveaboard dive trips down there (out of 3 different ports) and came back a month later with 54 dives and AOW cert. It was awesome!! Huge variety of dives.

Being a brand new diver was not an issue really. One nice thing was that with such intensive diving over a relatively short period of time, I could see and feel my skills getting better with practically every dive. When I started, I was getting 20-22 minutes per dive (due to air). By the end, I was over an hour. Buoyancy and other skills got noticably better too. Finding a dive buddy was never an issue on the liveaboards. In one case, I was the lone single diver, so they just teamed me up with a divemaster whenever I jumped in the water.

Overall, I dropped a lot of cash, and I struggled to do it - but for me - it was a trip of a lifetime. Would not have traded it for the world :)

For a new diver, especially, I highly recommend doing a liveaboard. It's a great way to pack a lot of dives into a small period of time, and see an associated improvement in your skills right away.

Good luck OP :)
nd

There is a whole world of water waiting to be explored on this huge rock we call home. I suggest that you factor in what you might like to do on land as well. If you are looking for nightlife or a hommock on the beach. I personally love Grand Cayman especially for the novice. You can do Stingray City while you are there. Visit Hell where you can send postcards to firends and relatives back home and have a pretty decent evening life while you are there. If you are looking for more laid back land ventures then Cayman Brac, its sister island, is less commercial but you can explore the island on a moped and meet up with some of the friendliest people around. The diving is stupendous at either place.

Bonaire and Curacao are 2 other options to consider. They are a part of the Dutch Antilles located just off the coast of Venezuela. Curacao was my favorite of the two as the diving was calm and I got to see plenty of seahorse. Both islands have a European influence which is pretty unique.

Wherever you go enjoy it.

I think Key Largo is a great place for a new diver. Get lots of dive time, a lot to see in what are fairly easy, low stress dives as well as some more advanced dives if you are ready. Tons of threads with recomendations for specific shops and lots of good shops.

Australia and other exotic (from the US) trips are great but for your first trip it makes sense to go to one of the mainstream and relatively easy to get to dive destinations with lots of divers in the Caribbean. Get immersed in diving, get practice, and get an idea of what you like. Places such as Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, Turks&Caicos, Bay Islands.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. Don't spend $5000 on your first trip and travel half way around the world. I've been to all the places mentioned as well as many others. Dive, dive and dive some more. Don't worry about a dive buddy. You'll dive with a DM or other divers at all of major stops.

When you are more confident and ready for more adventures, try Indonesia. You can't go wrong. Watch the HDTHR series called Equator if you get a chance. The episode called Reef of Riches is unbelievable and highlights a remote area called Raja Ampat. You'll see almost everything included in the films. It's truly unbelievable. By the way the diving is very easy. Choose a liveaboard if possible.

thanks again for all you guys input. i have decided to take a trip to hawaii in january:D

Yikes, $5000 is a lot for a first trip!!!! I remember my checkout dives, I did them here on Bonaire, and it was perfect. I did them from shore and was able to go at my own pace.

Crazy, from Houston you should be able to do a week on Bonaire for around $2k. You can take Continental non-stop. Bonaire does get a lot of "single" divers, so you should not have a problem finding a buddy or 2 if you choose Bonaire.

Liz

Hey Crazytaz, im also a new diver and I just returened fro The caymans, It was awsome the air temperature was at 89, Water tem 85 at the surface and 82 at 60ft, right now is the time to go It is off season and during my dives there was no more than 6 people on the boats, actually when I did The Sting RAY dive I was the onlyone there....

Im also a new diver eager to get out and travel, so if your looking for dive budies let me know

Australia and other exotic (from the US) trips are great but for your first trip it makes sense to go to one of the mainstream and relatively easy to get to dive destinations with lots of divers in the Caribbean. Get immersed in diving, get practice, and get an idea of what you like. Places such as Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, Turks&Caicos, Bay Islands.

I agree with this, and I'll add Saba as a good place to go. My wife and I went there last year for her first diving post-cert and she had a great time. We used Sea Saba and they were fantastic -- small groups on their boats and very professional and customer-oriented. The diving on Saba is also amazing.

We went back last month and were there when hurricane Omar went through (I'll post a trip report later). The hurricane caused some minor reef damage, but they were able to get boats out three days after the storm.

Back
Top Bottom