Planning a trip to NC in 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking at a dive trip to dive in NC some time in 2009. I have checked out some of the dive ops websites, looking at calendars, etc. and want more information. :D

1. What is best time to visit the wrecks? Since we are going to be flying in from NM, we want to make sure that 4-5 days in area will yield us at least 3 days of diving on the wrecks. (I really don't want to fly all the way out just to be told the boats aren't going out at all due to weather or not enough divers).

2. Which wrecks are visited the most, within Rec diving limits? (we aren't tech certified at this point but this trip may entice us :D in that direction)

3. Any other info we might want in our planning?

We are both experienced divers, cold and warm water, deep and intense diving experience. :D The NC wrecks have been on our todo list for awhile, and with $$$ being a factor, traveling to Truk for wreck diving isn't in the plans for now. We have read that NC wrecks are just as good and much more cost effective. Since I was born in NC, I do have family to visit, too. I haven't been back to the area in almost 30 yrs, my husband has never been there so I would like him to see a bit of NC. :eyebrow:

robin:D

hey! i'm sure others will chime in, too, but here's my info.

the wrecks are best summer through fall, which is, of course, hurricane season. the more common scene is to get blown out with light winds on land which are making big waves offshore, so if that happens, it might not happen tomorrow. so there are never, never weather guarantees.

the boat rides are 2-ish hours each way. boats not filling up & not going is more a winter/spring thing. there are so many divers going summer & fall it's much less likely. bring your own lunches/snacks/waters/drinks.

very popular wrecks are the u-352, papoose, indra, spar, hutton...there are a million & everyone has their favorites, but those are among the top.

i bet you've checked some of these, but good websites would be for olympus dive center or discovery (if you'll be out of morehead city), aquatic safaris out of wilmington, and ncdivers.com.

We are looking at a dive trip to dive in NC some time in 2009. I have checked out some of the dive ops websites, looking at calendars, etc. and want more information. :D

1. What is best time to visit the wrecks? Since we are going to be flying in from NM, we want to make sure that 4-5 days in area will yield us at least 3 days of diving on the wrecks. (I really don't want to fly all the way out just to be told the boats aren't going out at all due to weather or not enough divers).

2. Which wrecks are visited the most, within Rec diving limits? (we aren't tech certified at this point but this trip may entice us :D in that direction)

3. Any other info we might want in our planning?

We are both experienced divers, cold and warm water, deep and intense diving experience. :D The NC wrecks have been on our todo list for awhile, and with $$$ being a factor, traveling to Truk for wreck diving isn't in the plans for now. We have read that NC wrecks are just as good and much more cost effective. Since I was born in NC, I do have family to visit, too. I haven't been back to the area in almost 30 yrs, my husband has never been there so I would like him to see a bit of NC. :eyebrow:

robin:D

Hey Robin

Its Choby (toe guy for Nekton) We routinely go out to Morehead City the last week of Aug as we have a standing reservation with Atlantis Charters. We are always two divers short. Atlantis is a six pack and even though it can hold more, it stays a six pack. Which means there is lots of room! They use a Carolina rig so getting to/from the down line is real easy. The notable wrecks include the U-352, Papoose, Spar and many others. You are looking at depths from 80-110 depending on the wreck and if you want to hit the sand. Its pretty good diving. As with any trip...bad weather can bite you. One year, we were chased away by a hurricane but we went to Canada instead.

If you have a facebook account - U can look me up there as I have to vids posted from NC.

Perhaps our little group and you and Ron can fill up the boat next summer...

Cheers

JC

Without repeating too much of the info already posted, the sweet spot each year starts when the gulf stream waters move in over the wrecks (usually early-mid June) and last until the first named storm comes and screws things up. A lot of local divers actually prefer the fall, but weather is less predictable and it can be harder to find charters on weekdays once the vacation crowds are gone.

This site has great info on the Morehead/Beaufort area:
GoDiveNC

and there is good info about Wilmington here:
Wilmington North Carolina Diving

Rich

You won't need to be tech certified. The dive ops will advertise a particular charter as tech only. Olympus and Discovery in Beaufort and MH City are your easy bets. Be aware, slots fill quickly during the busy summer months. Week days are easier than weekends. Take your sea sick pills or patches or whatever if you are the slightest bit prone. I've seen so many think they can tough it out only to pay a hundred bucks to sit on a boat miserable for 6 hours. Check your gear well before you go, there is not much you can do if stuff fails out on the boat except beg from other divers. Don't be afraid to ask for a dive master if you are concerned about getting around the wrecks. Recommend AOW rating and deep dive experience. Computer and nitrox are strongly recommended. Its no fun to do a 5 minute dive on the sub. You will go to whatever wreck the captain feels is likely to have good conditions. Its more rare to define ahead of time where you are going. Sometime, you will do the same wreck in one day. There are also near shore wrecks at shallower depths (usually afternoon charters) if you need to start easy. The weather is the great limiter. Even gorgeous days can have the wind blowing from the wrong directions and make what looks like a calm sea from shore be atrocious further out. Flat calm days are the exception. Try to stay flexible. I've seen many come down for just a weekend from far away and get a blow out instead. Sharks are common here. Get over any fears you have. Sand tigers are quite docile around divers and you can enjoy getting up close for pics and video.

You won't need to be tech certified. The dive ops will advertise a particular charter as tech only. Olympus and Discovery in Beaufort and MH City are your easy bets. Be aware, slots fill quickly during the busy summer months. Week days are easier than weekends. Take your sea sick pills or patches or whatever if you are the slightest bit prone. I've seen so many think they can tough it out only to pay a hundred bucks to sit on a boat miserable for 6 hours. Check your gear well before you go, there is not much you can do if stuff fails out on the boat except beg from other divers. Don't be afraid to ask for a dive master if you are concerned about getting around the wrecks. Recommend AOW rating and deep dive experience. Computer and nitrox are strongly recommended. Its no fun to do a 5 minute dive on the sub. You will go to whatever wreck the captain feels is likely to have good conditions. Its more rare to define ahead of time where you are going. Sometime, you will do the same wreck in one day. There are also near shore wrecks at shallower depths (usually afternoon charters) if you need to start easy. The weather is the great limiter. Even gorgeous days can have the wind blowing from the wrong directions and make what looks like a calm sea from shore be atrocious further out. Flat calm days are the exception. Try to stay flexible. I've seen many come down for just a weekend from far away and get a blow out instead. Sharks are common here. Get over any fears you have. Sand tigers are quite docile around divers and you can enjoy getting up close for pics and video.

I think we are both good on experience and as far as fear of sharks - you obviously haven't checked out my videos. :wink:

Thanks everyone, we will definitely plan on a week next summer. :D JC, good to hear from you again and we will keep that in mind.

Hey Robin,

I'm putting together another trip to Cape Lookout for next summer. We typically bring 10-13 expereinced divers for 4-6 days and hit some of the best wrecks there. Sounds like y'all will fit right in. you're welcome to join us if the dates work out. You can look up some trip report threads i posted about 2-3 years ago. They're very detailed for the trip and the diving in the area.

AL

Great Robint. Sorry I wasn't familiar with your background. Stay in touch. I was also born hear in North Cackalacky and I dive frequently off the coast. Maybe I was see you on your trip. Have fun in Honduras.

back to planning......... :D

1. late May or early June might work the best for us with schedules. Most of the recommended dive ops don't have their schedules up for that timeperiod yet. So, during that time, are the boats usually running EVERY day, or only on weekends? :D

2. we are looking at 4 days of diving, should we look at doing all with one dive op in one area, or should we think about a couple of days at one area, a couple at another? I know my husband and I really really want to do a couple of WWII wrecks (and Chuuk is out of our budget right now!), and the U-352 is rated high on the must do list by almost everyone we talk to about NC diving....:D

3. is there a dive op best for underwater photographers or videographers? Rinse tanks? We both have rigs that would need to be on a table between dives, not sitting on floor for everyone to step over. :D

Any other information anyone would like to share? We are looking at flying into Raleigh and driving down to coast, staying a day or two up in Greensboro area to visit my family. I haven't visited NC in 25+ years so part of the trip will be seeing a little of the state again and taking my hubby, who has never been there, to see it. Looking at 7-8 days total. I can smell the hushpuppies already! :D

robin

Hey Robin,

Most dive boats run every day they can that part of the year. There may be some blow-outs though.

These are the dive ops that are on my short list in the Beaufort/ Morehead City area. I would start with them. Their larger boats have cabins with tables that you can set your camera gear on.

Discovery Diving Co., Inc. - North Carolina Wreck Diving in the Graveyard of the Atlantic

Olympus Dive Center

Atlantic Beach and Morehead City , North Carolina Wreck Diving and Dive Charters to the NC Shipwrecks

In the Cape Lookout area myFavorite Dives Are:

U-352, Hutton(Papoose), Schurz, Carib Sea, Atlas, Spar, Aeolus, Indra

We will try to add the Proteus, Naeco, or Cassimar to that list this June. If the weather is favorable there are definitely enough dives to occupy four days. Hopefully you won't be on "ad hoc" trips where you go to the Spar/U-352/Indra every day.

AL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom