Planning a trip to Belize... Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the Belize Zoo is a must see. Pretty easy to hit on your way back to the airport if you are coming from San Ignacio.
San Ignacio is where a lot of the inland attractions are based out of. If you want a nice 5 star lodge, try Chaa Creek. We really enjoyed it.....
And you are not old, the caves are very rugged. Definately for the adventurous.

We went to Belize, October 2005. We had a great time! We stayed at the Inn at Robert's Grove near Placencia.

As for the diving it was pretty good. You had to travel at least 45 minutes, if not more, to your dive destination. We would do a one tank dive in the morning and then a surface interval on one of the outer cayes. Silk Caye was beautiful (but the furthest out). After about a two hour surface interval and lunch (awesome barbeque that the boat crew cooked), we would do the afternoon dive. One thing we encountered in October was that the season was slow for that part of the country. The dive shop at the resort required at least four people to go out. If they couldn't take us out, we were farmed out to other dive operations in the town. But the other dive operations equipment and boats were not as nice. We couldn't dive the second half of our trip - hurricane Wilma was churning up the waters. However, the resort booked us a interesting Mayan tour. Nobody else from the resort was going, so it was just 2 of us and the tour guide.

I would definately go back, but chose better time of year for that region.

As for the other parts of Belize, I would like to try Turneffe Island and stay at the Turneffe Lodge. It doesn't look like there's much to do but dive there. That's great for me and the diving looks close. I would also like to stay on Ambergis Caye as well, but I have not researched where. If any other scubaboard members have oppinions on either, I would be interested to hear them.

Keep us posted on what spot you choose. Happy vacation planning!

Enjoyed diving from Placencia but as Scuba Monster said - it's a long boat ride - did some beautiful wall dives down there - awsome coral gardens - See my pics for silk caye and placencia pics - love Ambergris Caye - cant go wrong with diving from there - i always dive with Amigos del Mar when there - top notch. Great food and bars too!

Ambergris Caye is the most popular destination for diving but it gets more crowds and it is farther from the atolls, so it isn't my first choice. Caye Caulker is less crowded but still far from the atolls. There are some resorts out among the atolls, but they tend to be pricier. But, the diving is much better out on the atolls.

We stayed at Turneffe Island Lodge, which is on a private island. It is a dedicated diving and fishing resort. If you are looking for a lot of nightlife, this isn't your place. But, it is top notch diving and a top notch resort. The dive sites are literally 5 to 15 minutes from the resort so the surface intervals are spent back on the island. The fish life is spectacular. We saw turtles every dive and had three dives with schools of hammerheads. It was a lot of money, but you sure can't complain about the diving.

I highly recommend anyone traveling for diving check out Undercurrent for reviews from real divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom