Planning a "cheap" trip to the Bahamas, any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaxias

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I want to dive the Bahamas with my girlfriend next month, probably dec 15th to dec 23rd. Any suggestions on great dive spots (less then 60ft, she's new to diving)? A few years ago I dived a blue hole with Bahamas Diver in Nassau (great experience by the way). If possible I'd like to stay away from Nassau as it was too crowded for my taste :wink: Ideally we're looking for a 3 star motel as we can't afford to pay much.

thanks!

edit: from what I've seen Andros island seems like a great place, waiting on suggestions!

Last edited:
Andros is wonderful - one of my favorite dive spots in the Bahamas - NIE! - in the whole world! It has a lot to recommend it, not the least of which are Jeff and Mike at Small Hope are two of my favorite dive leaders/resort operators anywhere.

But it isn't what I would classify as "cheap" - although your definition of cheap may be different from mine. Small Hope easily costs $330+per person per night including accomodations, diving, meals. Not including if you do extras like the shark experience dive, bonefishing, etc and gratuities for dive staff. Then you have to actually fly to Andros in the first place - which means a plane ticket to NAS or FLL, then another plane ticket of $150-250 pp on either Western Airlines or Continental Connection.

If that's cheap, great! What did you say you did for a living again? :wink:

I think the "cheapest" way to do the Bahamas might be (these are costs off the top of my head):

1. Nassau

- Stay on Nassau at a place like Orange Hill for ~$90 per person per night
- Dive with Stuart's Cove which costs maybe $100 per person per day for 2 tanks
- Eat at local establishments to keep meal costs down

2. Take a liveaboard cruise like Blackbeard's or the Cat Ppalu which might be $1200-1500 per person all-in for 7 days and nights.

3. Bimini: If memory serves from my recent trip, reviewed in the forum, our hotel and dive package was about $160 pp per day for 2 dives per day, not including meals and not including dolphin snorkel. Plus $70 per day for a golf cart (absolute necessity). Meals were pretty cheap, if monotonous, at local establishments.

I've not stayed elsewhere on land in the Bahamas to know what that would be like. KUFan tells me that there are often cheap deals at mega resorts on Grand Bahama...I can't vouch for the diving though.

Let us know what you find and how it is!

Yes, from what I've seen Andros doesn't come in the cheap category. Orange Hill seems like the kind of place we're looking for, did you stay there? We'll probably book 2-3 days of diving on top of that.

Another vote for Orange Hill.......

Simple, cheap, nice staff, good food in the restaurant.......

You can walk to the grocery store and buy food, go to the road a turn right about 1/2 mile on the right........get a room with a fridge.........

Stuart Cove has a bus pickup service........

It is also very close to the airport so taxi ride is cheap.....

You can take the bus into town........

Ah, the ice cold Kalik (SP?) local beer on the beach........:)

Downside is small rooms and can be a little loud, AC makes a racket .......the hotel is a little "tired"

M

if you're staying at Orange Hill, using Stuart Coves is about your only choice, especially if you want free pickup.

they have several boats a day. check out their website to see what they offer.

if you're staying at Orange Hill, using Stuart Coves is about your only choice, especially if you want free pickup.

they have several boats a day. check out their website to see what they offer.

And you can save some money by pre-booking your dives on their website prior to your arrival.
http://www.stuartcove.biz/reservations/dive.htm

Last edited:
Orange Hill is a great place to stay! The west end of the island is quiet, and they are the closest hotel to Stuart Coves so they are the last pickup on the way in and the first drop off on the way back on the free shuttle.
If you stay there try to get one of the cottages--they are only a few dollars more per night, and way above the standard rooms in size of room and quality. And the view off your private balcony can't be beat!

If you stay there be sure to ride the Jitney (local bus service) or walk to a restaurant about a mile away called the Travellers Rest. Go during the day and eat on the outside terrace--it overlooks the ocean and you'll feel like you are in a Corona beer commercial!

Land Shark Divers - Nassau, Bahamas
I dont think the site's current. But this place was refurb'd a few months back. Mabe worth a call.....
Food for thought anyway.

IMHO it's not as nice as Orange Hill, as well set or as close to Coves. But it's is on Cable Beach strip for night life and it did have a rep for very reasonable rates.

Most of the dives here are fairly shallow with the notable exceptions of The Rose Island Blue Hole (220') and wall dives (6500'+ (or "-" if you like :eyebrow: ).
You dont have to go deep or even over the wall on the dives. With anything like the usual vis you can expect to keep eyes on the dive leader/ group from the top of the wall and certainly follow their bubble trail for the 20 mins or so they're at depth.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom